You see, last year I got two new frilly reds, Executive Decision (whose story can be found here) and Highland Lord. I thought this bloom was a Highland Lord that, as well as being a bit bashed up by the rain, forgot to go double.
Executive Decision

Then I remembered Executive Decision, and after checking my notes on planting location, I realized that this was indeed a modern man of business and not a pompous Edwardian.
(Just as an aside, I have noticed a masculine trend in the naming of my red daylilies: Royal Mountie, Justin Miller, Highland Lord, Little Business, Executive Decision. It might not hold up as a trend across all registered daylilies, but in my gardens at least, all red daylilies are dudes, no matter how frilly they are.)
So my original story was going to be about how the Highland Lord just got back from a military posting overseas, with his foreign manservant Siloam Plum Tree and his new wife, the beautiful Lavender Rainbow. But modern business executives don't tend to have foreign manservants or delicate brides, so there goes my story...
But here are the daylilies anyway.
Siloam Plum Tree

Lavender Rainbow

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.
Long time readers of this blog might remember that Lavender Rainbow is one of my personal favourites. Today's first bloom is one of the better examples of the flowers this daylily produces. Instead of being a purple blob, the eyezone has delicate shading (I think that's called a watermark, but I'm not sure). I just wish the peachy-yellowish petals would return to being the cream colour they were originally. But it's a minor point.
3 comments:
Karen, Keep your stories going. You're the author, you can make anyone have a manservant if you want.
Yes, that does llok like a watermark to me. Very pretty.
Hi Karen, I just started my garden in this summer, and I really got into gardening, which I've never expected before. So I go to a neighborhood nursery, Homedepot, and Lowes almost everyday - that is heaven.
When I saw your blog, your daylilies look very gorgeous, and I thought I wish I could get some of them. Then I just got yellow daylilies and planted them today( I could not find other colors). They are so gorgeous and really outstanding by the white fence.
i'm loving the show and the stories. I really have to branch out...I've just got some run-of-the-mill orange daylilies. Looking at your amazing collection I can't decide which is prettiest.
Cheers
irena
Post a Comment