I caught this camouflaged critter near the composter. I'm not sure which of us scared the other more. This thing is really hard to see on ground that's brown and bumpy.
American Toad (Bufo americanus)

At first I wasn't sure what it was, so I called it a frog, since according to my son with his Aristotelian exactness, "All toads are frogs, but not all frogs are toads." Now I'm pretty sure this critter is an American toad.
And this, this I believe is a Common Whitetail, a type of dragonfly. It's a female. I know this because if it were male it would have a completely white tail (well, duh). The females have a white abdomen only.
Female "Common Whitetail" Dragonfly

I always knew there was a difference between dragonflies and damselflies, but I just thought damselflies were more delicate and that was the difference. But no, the official difference is that damselflies close their wings when they are resting, while dragonflies keep theirs open.
Well, that's it for critters, now for the flower. 'Little Business' had its first bloom today.
Little Business

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.
No comments:
Post a Comment