Today I have a mystery daylily. This wouldn't matter if it were not such a superb daylily. I love all daylilies, but it's the dark ones that really capture my heart. Look at this daylily that bloomed in my garden today.
Unknown Dark Daylily (Probably 'American Revolution')

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
It's really bothering me that I don't know what this daylily is. I have no record of a dark daylily that I got last year that I haven't been able to locate.
I had thought maybe I moved a fan of Sweet Hot Chocolate to the side garden, but this daylily is darker even than that. (I should know, because when I do a Google image search on 'Sweet Hot Chocolate' most of the photos that come up are mine.)
I checked Dominic in case I moved it last year, but Dominic has a slight midrib and this flower does not.
Ed Murray is still where he's supposed to be, as are Root Beer, Darkside, and Smith Brothers. Grand Masterpiece is still where I planted it two years ago. This is nothing like All American Plum, even if it wasn't firmly planted where I left it last year.
Daylily aficionados, please help me. I need names of dark daylilies with yellow-green throats, no eyezone, watermarks, ruffles, or midribs. Maybe if I see a name, it will jog my memory.*
* [Edited to Add, August 13, 2008]: Very late last year I visited a large nursery and they had about four daylily plants left, sitting on a table at a much-reduced price. It would have been easy to pass them by except for one thing: one daylily I didn't have was described as dark purple. So I bought it. All I could remember this year was that it had "American" in the name. So I did a search and came up with American Revolution, so that's what I'm calling it for now.
Switching gears, I have another photo for you. My echinacea 'Razzmatazz'. Great name. Great flower. Surviving against the odds in my garden (it's stuck against the back fence in a hidden area that doesn't get much sun). I am so so happy with it.
Echinacea 'Razzmatazz'

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
8 comments:
Wish I could help you but I will say she is stunning. I hope someone can help you out cause I would love this beauty in my garden. Lisa
What a gorgeous color on that daylily! I'm no help, as you can imagine, but I wonder if you've ever visited the blog of "Gotta Garden" in Virginia? (I think that I still have a link to her website from mine; otherwise you can probably find it on Garden Voices.) She breeds some of her own daylilies, even, so she may be able to help you with an ID...
I can't help you either but I think it is beautiful. My kind of color.
I am afraid i am no help, because i don't know the names of most of mine. (they were hand-me-downs from mom, who doesn't care much about names). I have been able to name a few of mine using your site, though. Thank you very much for that....and this is a gorgeous daylily, i would love to know it's name also!
Before I read your entire post I guessed Smith Brothers. But you don't think it's that? I have a dark one called Strutter's Ball, but I think yours is darker than that.
It looks like the following,http://freshdirt.sunset.com/2008/06/post.html
"Chocolate Candy"
That one looks exactly like hemerocallis "Salieri". I ordered it last winter, but sadly enough it arrived fully rotten, and I couldn't manage to get another one so far. Indeed, a beauty.
Joce
That one looks exactly like hemerocallis "Salieri". I ordered it last winter, but sadly enough it arrived fully rotten, and I couldn't manage to get another one so far. Indeed, a beauty.
Joce
Post a Comment