Friday, July 25, 2008

Three New Ones Today


Royal Mountie

Royal Mountie First Bloom 25/07/08
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Back when I first got this daylily, bright red blooms were not to be found in my garden. My how things have changed, with Highland Lord, Executive Decision, and Justin Miller.

Light Years Away

Light Years Away First Bloom 25/07/08
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Light Years Away has a thick "piecrust" picotee edge. When this flower looks good, it is gorgeous (but when it doesn't, it's really awful). Today's example is definitely more good than awful.

El Desperado

El Desperado First Bloom 25/07/08
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I moved El Desperado last year when I rearranged the front garden to make room for several new daylilies I bought at Floral and Hardy Gardens. The blooms seem smaller this year than I remember, but then again a lot of the daylilies are like that. It could be because we've had so much rain and quite a bit less sun than usual.

By the way, here is a second look at Peach Magnolia.

Peach Magnolia

Peach Magnolia
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I think all of its blooms are going to be this way this year. (It's one of the plants slated for dividing in the autumn.) These double blossoms look more like peonies or roses than the typical daylily.

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

Ewa said...

Oh, Karen,
The number od daylilies you grow is outstanding! some of them are so beautiful!
I miss little bit some pictures of your garden with broader view :)
I wonder how it looks.
Greetings,
Ewa

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Karen,
I love El Desparado. I have it, too. I have had it for years, but it never really has grown into a big clump like daylilies normally do. I get only a few leaves a few flowers each year.