Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Season Has Begun

I'd have to say that as of today, the middle of July, daylily season has begun.

I troll the gardens looking for anything new, and today I saw five plants whose first blooms are out today. (I'm not really in the right mood for making a show of things, so they are just flowers today.)

Cricket Dance is a prolific daylily with a high bud count. This is just the first flower of what is sure to be many.

Cricket Dance

Cricket Dance First Bloom 15/07/08
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

This miniature daylily was sold as a bargain "unknown" and turned out to be an apricot self, just like Naomi Ruth. I don't think the real Naomi Ruth is a miniature, but this one was sitting right beside Naomi Ruth plants, so I borrowed the name. (It could actually be a sport of Naomi Ruth that developed as a miniature. The same thing happened to my Purple d'Oro.)

Naomi Ruth

Naomi Ruth First Bloom 15/07/08
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Bela Lugosi is big and dark (darker even than this photograph shows). This is a new one in my garden, planted last fall. It's growing nicely and the first flower is spectacular.

Bela Lugosi

Bela Lugosi First Bloom 15/07/08
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Another new bloom today is Luxury Lace. I'm disappointed in the colour of this plant's blooms. I expected the colour to be more even. (To try and explain what I mean, it's as if this flower were drawn with coloured pencil and filled in lightly, leaving white space between the strokes.) I'm posting a side view because that way the disappointing colour is not as noticeable.

Luxury Lace

Luxury Lace from the Side
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Siloam Doodlebug gave me a polytepalous bloom today. It was difficult to photograph these flowers well since it was a sunny day. When the sun is shining on light-coloured petals, blown-out highlights are difficult to avoid. That's why these photos might look a little dark on your screen.

Siloam Doodlebug

Siloam Doodlebug First Bloom 15/07/08
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

And those are the new daylilies for today. Stay tuned for tomorrow when there will be more to see.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

5 comments:

Piondröm said...

Hi.
Beautiful Daylillys you have.
They are starting here in Sweden to.
Ken

sherthebear said...

beautiful daylilies. I have planted daylilies in my garden for the first time, so I am looking forward to their blooms.

Jane O' said...

I'm interested to know how you like Bela Lugosi. I wanted to buy it last year but someone told me it was over rater. Then this year I saw it on the most popular list. I tried to buy it and it was sold out wherever I went. I guess it must be popular. Could you let me know at the end of its season how you feel it performed?

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos...I love the purple daylily. Nice contrast. And great raised bed with all that stone. Whew, I got a sore back just looking at it!
Thanks for sharing the beauty.

Fiori Ed Orrori said...

Hi nice rreading your post