Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Losing Track

I believe it's time to admit to myself that my daylily addiction is out of control. I have daylilies blooming in my garden that I can't identify. I don't know when I bought and planted them. Like this one that bloomed today.

Unknown* First Bloom Today

Unknown Daylily, First Bloom 07/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

The other thing is, I can't keep track of my losses in any coherent way, either. I know vaguely that some of my old favourites from a few years ago are no longer blooming. My Hope and Barbara Mitchell were always solid and reliable, but now they are just scapeless piles of greenery under the elm.

Many of my purchases (mostly from the daylily farm, but also from commercial nurseries) have been disappointments for various reasons: plants not strong enough to last past one year, mislabelled plants, plants that do not bloom true-to-form the following year (and continue to turn uglier the more years they survive). There are many ways for daylily purchases to fall short of expectations.

But there are the gems, too, so it's a gamble that sometimes pays off.

Funny, I would not have called myself a gambler, but that is exactly what I am in the garden, willingly buying plants with no guarantee of survival...

Well, I do have some more first blooms today. David Kirchoff has seen better days. This flower is smaller than usual.

David Kirchoff

David Kirchoff, First Bloom 07/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Then there is Royal Mountie, which had two blooms today, neither of which has the lovely pinwheel effect I look forward to from this variety.

Royal Mountie

Royal Mountie, First Bloom 07/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Others, not new, which had two (or three) blooms in tandem today are American Revolution, and Crimson Pirate.

American Revolution

Very Dark American Revolution
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Crimson Pirate

Crimson Pirate Pair
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

The dark daylilies are my absolute favourites, and today the flowers seem to have the deep, rich colour I imagine they should have all the time -- although some days the flowers are lighter and more reddish, and of course the camera always picks up the red at the expense of the darker tones.

But not so today's American Revolution (as seen above), and Dominic.

Dominic

Dark Dominic
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I sigh a lot over the shortcomings I encounter, especially in my own brain's inability to keep track of my flowers. But when I see the gorgeous blooms on my dark daylilies, I can only sigh with contentment.

* I figured it out. It's actually Druid's Chant. It's a lot more reddish this year than previous years. Here is what it looked like in 2006 when I first bought and planted it.

Druid's Chant, 2006

'Druid's Chant' First Bloom
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved


...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

No comments: