Here are some planters I have done over the years.
Concrete Planter, 2004

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Blue Bowl, 2005

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Echeveria Collection and Sempervivum Planters, 2007

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
The problem with sempervivum is that once they flower, the flowering plant dies. I've yet to discover a way to stop mine from flowering.
Flowering Sempervivum, 2006

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
The flowers themselves can be very pretty, if ephemeral. Still, that is little compensation for losing your investment in the parent plant.
Sempervivum Flowers, 2010

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
But, problems with flowering plants aside, what I really want to do, now that I have seen it done, is something like these vertical succulent gardens that Flora Grubb Gardens is able to make with their vertical garden D.I.Y. panels.

Photo from floragrubb.com
(Of course, that right there is $900 worth of panels, plus who knows how much worth of plants, so I think I'd be doing mine on a much smaller scale.)
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post (except Vertical Garden photo) belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
3 comments:
Wow, the pricing on the Flora Grubb panels are quite prohibitive, but the displays look wonderful. But so do your planters! Maybe as a compromise, a very large planter, which you could view from an upper window?
I was thinking maybe I could figure out how to rig something up myself, and not pay all that money for one of theirs.
Thank you for the compliment on my planters. The echeveria are not winter hardy (I'm too lazy to bring them indoors), and by the time the hens and chicks have flowered, it decimates my investment in the different varieties. So I end up having to renew them every year.
Beautiful containers! I am working with my young granddaughters creating a Fairy Garden. It is in a very sunny, dry location. We have planted sedums,sempervivums and moss rose. Your photos are inspiring.
Post a Comment