Daylily Bed

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Nile Crane has several flowers today.
Nile Crane

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
And, since it's Tuesday, here are some Tuesday to look at.
'Tuesday' on Tuesday

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Some old favourites had their first blooms today. Country Melody, Dad's Best White, and Purple d'Oro are easy for me to identify by their appearance and location.
Country Melody

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Dad's Best White

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Purple d'Oro

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Then there is the unmistakable beauty of Bama Bound, another new bloom today.
Bama Bound

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
The newer the daylily to my garden, the less certain I am of names. For example, this one from the front garden, I'm not certain but I think it is Blueberry Candy.
Blueberry Candy (?)

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Then there is this red one. It's back in the daylily bed by the east fence. I've already had blooms for Lucky Catch and Justin Miller, so I am not sure what this one is.
Unknown Red

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Clearly I have to go back through the archives and refresh my memory as to which daylilies I have acquired in the past two years.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
2 comments:
Hi Karin,
I saw your comment to Jan, where you said daylilies are your passion, so I came here to see yours. I think they're all beauties. I have lots, many that I dug from a yard where the house was about to be torn down. The guy was having a book sale in the house, and let me give him a small donation for them and the irises he let me dig up. He used to be an iris grower, and said he would not be allowed to sell them from his yard. Even when I do know the names when I buy them, I frequently misplace the tags and forget the names.
I was glad to see your 'Night Beacon' because I thought I may have mixed up the tags from some I got on sale last summer. Mine was labeled correct. I thought it may have been 'Bella Lugosi' because the bloom on that one is a totally different color.
Oh, I enjoyed your post on deadheading. That's one of my favorite things to do. You get to be up close and personal with your flowers.
'Night Beacon' has that big yellow eye, and strongly recurved petals. 'Bela Lugosi' tends to have larger flowers with smaller eyes, and it is a more open flower. Also, there is more of a reddish shadow around the eye before the dark colour starts.
I keep the labels in a binder, and write on them where I planted it. So, appearance and location has usually been enough, up to now, to let me identify all my daylilies.
The problem comes when I move daylilies around because they have stopped blooming. Also, if a daylily dramatically changes its appearance, sometimes I am lost as to which one it must be.
Post a Comment