Saturday, July 10, 2010

Well, That Was Unexpected

Remember yesterday's "ugly" unknown bloom? Well, here it is again. The second bloom is a bit more like it, don't you think? It looks like something that should be in a wedding bouquet. [Edited to add: Yes, it is beautiful. But you wouldn't know it from yesterday's bloom -- which I thought was quite ugly.]

"Ugly" Unknown Daylily, Second Bloom

Wow! Second Bloom for "Ugly" Unknown
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I think I might remember where it came from, now. It was meant to be a Tang Dynasty, but had two labels in the pot. Of course, the second label was what it really was. I can't remember what it was called, but it also begins with 'T'. (Yes, I did mean to go back and exchange it last year, but I ended up just planting it instead.)

[Edited to add: No, that is not the story. It's actually a daylily called Vanilla Fluff, which was planted in a different spot and had stopped blooming, just like Scatterbrain, which has a similar colouring and is also a double. So, when I moved both plants, I put them next to each other. Perhaps that was not the best thing to do, although I am happy they are both blooming now.]

The good news is, my Catherine Woodbury, though becoming quite frail, has not suffered from a catastrophic colour shift after all. Here are its blooms today.

Catherine Woodbury

Catherine Woodbury, First Bloom 11/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Daveo Holman is one of my older daylilies that always blooms every year, but has now taken to producing streaky flowers. It's an interesting effect, but this plant is certainly not a great beauty.

Daveo Holman

Daveo Holman, First Bloom 11/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Siloam Merle Kent is another one from the early years of my daylily garden (ahem, all of five years ago now).

Siloam Merle Kent

Siloam Merle Kent, First Bloom 11/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

At least this one hasn't stopped blooming.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been lurking on your blog for some time and never comment. This time, however, I must say something in dense of that "ugly" lilly. I really, really like it. As the saying goes: " Beauty is in the in the eyes of the beholder".
Gerda in New York

Philosophical Karen said...

Thanks, Gerda. I have to agree with you. You see, I thought from the first flower yesterday that it was going to be some kind of ugly daylily.

Now that I have seen that second flower, I think it is beautiful! I was being sarcastic when I still called it the "ugly" daylily.

By the way, I know what it's called now. It's Vanilla Fluff.