Sunday, July 11, 2010

Deadheading Days of Summer

Well, at this time of year, daily deadheading becomes a must in the garden. So every morning I go out and, as well as admiring the daylilies, I start breaking off spent blooms. Very. Carefully. So as not to disturb existing buds and blooms.

Deadheaded Spent Blooms

Spent Blooms
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

There are very few daylilies left (of the ones that actually put out scapes) that have not had at least one bloom. I find that amazing when it is not yet the middle of July. All my "late season" daylilies in the east fence bed have bloomed. Those are daylilies I purposely shopped for in August to make sure they would bloom late in the season. But this truly is an extraordinary year.

El Desperado is one beautiful new bloom today. The others, not so much.

El Desperado

El Desperado First Bloom 11/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

In fact, Night Beacon has such a blemished first bloom, that I included some Moonlit Masquerade in the photo for something else to look at.

Night Beacon and Moonlit Masquerade

Night Beacon (Left) First Bloom 11/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Unfortunately, there was nothing else of interest near Daring Deception, a fleshy pink flower that did not fare well in its first bloom.

Daring Deception

Daring Deception First Bloom 11/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Here is a long shot of the daylily bed today.

Daylily Bed Today

The Daylily Bed
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

And here are some flowers that are NOT daylilies that are also growing in my garden.

Purple Coneflower (Echinacea)

Perfect Purple Coneflower
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Black-Eyed Susan (Rudbeckia)

Rudbeckia
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Hosta Flowers

Hosta Flowers
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

No comments: