Thursday, July 15, 2010

Busy Day

Ooh, baby! I want to shout out loud, "Africa!" Look at this daylily!

Africa! (First Bloom Today)

'Africa' First Bloom 15/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

And yes, that photo is true to colour. See how it's almost black? (The next one is not quite true, but also looks good. Yes, this daylily looks so good I have to put two photos of the same flower in the same post.)

Africa, Again

'Africa' Daylily
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I thought I posted Africa before. But I didn't. Thank goodness. Because that wasn't even Africa, it was Strutter's Ball (which happens to be located just beside Africa in the east fence bed). I would have known which one was which if I had just consulted the tags that I put in last year, though.

Where Is 'Africa' Again?

Identification
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Strutter's Ball had its first bloom on June 30, but for some reason I skipped posting it. Another one I skipped was Stoplight. It's a big beautiful spiderform daylily that had its first bloom on July 8. Here is what it looks like today.

Stoplight

More Stoplights
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Today I spent about five hours in the garden. I did a lot of planting -- in fact I finally finished my sempervivum planters for this year. Look!

Sempervivum Planters

Sempervivum Planters Completed Today
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I was also playing around with compost, both making it and extracting it. We had a few bags of coffee grounds from Starbucks, so I was making good use of them. I also used the finished compost in some of my containers that I planted.

Clean Work Area

Garden Workspace
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

After I finished the planters, I cleaned up my work area. I don't even want to think about what it looked like before, but suffice to say that it was garbage day today, so a lot of plastic pots and carry-trays got recycled, a lot of old leaves and dirt got swept up, and a lot of stray weeds growing out of the patio got pulled.

Gratuitous Photo of Trailing Hens & Chicks

Sempervivum Planter
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

It was a busy day in the garden for me.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Africa is an amazingly beautiful flower.