Saturday, July 03, 2010

Digging in the Dirt: The Root of the Problem

The weather has been wonderful for working in the garden: sunny, cool, breezy, no humidity. I have been taking advantage. I love gardening -- all the activities -- weeding, pruning, planning, buying, arranging.

There is only one thing I dislike, and that is... DIGGING HOLES.

Yes, it's a problem. You can't rearrange a garden, or divide large plants, or plant new acquisitions, without digging holes.

I don't know why I dislike the digging. Part of it is that for the past couple of years I couldn't bend down to use a trowel, and I didn't have the strength or balance to wield a spade, so I couldn't dig holes. Lately, it's that every time I try to dig a hole, I run into tree roots. It's no fun when you know you are going to hit some little, but very tough, stringy roots. Gah!

* * *

Moving on now, today's photos of the new daylily blooms were all taken with my phone camera. That means the quality is not quite the same as I would get with my regular camera, but, regardless, here are the day's first blooms. And one second bloom, because I missed getting a fully open shot of Cricket Dance yesterday.

Nile Crane

'Nile Crane', First Bloom 03/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

American Revolution

'American Revolution', First Bloom 03/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Cricket Dance (Second Bloom)

'Cricket Dance', Second Bloom 03/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Lucky Catch

'Lucky Catch' (?), First Bloom 03/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Bonanza

'Bonanza', First Bloom 03/07/10
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

By the way, did anyone notice my blog redesign? I welcome any comments about the new style -- even (gently) negative ones. I'd really like to hear from people.

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

No comments: