So I noticed on one of our family walks recently that the dark red trumpet vine growing on my neighbour's gate at the end of the road has these long, beanlike seedpods on it.
Is it ethical to take seeds from a plant that doesn't belong to you if the owner probably wouldn't even notice?
Hmmm.
17 comments:
I'd go for it. Or you could just go up and ask, and meet yourself a new neighbor that likes to garden.
I could meet the neighbour, but I am not sure they are gardeners. They inherited the trumpet vine from the last owners (who didn't look to be gardeners either).
My grandmother was a seed saver who collected seeds wherever she went. She saw it as a way of propogating the world with God's beautiful flowers.
Nice blog you have here!
Karen, do it!
Sigrun
I would ask first. My experience has been generally positive and people have readily shared seeds and plants with me. Often when I inquire about a particular seed, the owner will offer other seeds/plants that I wasn't aware of so I end up with more than I came for!
I`d probably ask too. This morning I noticed a strange long bean growing on my trumpet vine. Took a picture even. Now I know what it is!
Think I may snip it and plant the seeds somewhere.
Is that syncronicity or what?
tea
xo
You sound so much me....I would struggle with the same question and could easily just "find" a seedpod near my feet...but its not a bad idea to ask either.
I'd ask first, because as noted by another comment, you might get more than you just those seeds.
I think you can start off by sweetly asking, or you could harvest some of the seeds that are hanging off on public property. Chances are, people will be thrilled to share seeds with you! A little cleavage for the appropriate homeowner never hurt either!
Good Luck!
Well, BSTS, that would be why I'm writing about it on my blog and not actually doing it. If I didn't feel exactly the way you do, then it wouldn't be worth remarking on at all. I would just go ahead and take the seeds without thinking about it. ;-)
I actually wanted to find out how others think about the matter, because that's interesting to me.
But I must say that those neighbours are never outside, and their yard is very neglected. I would have to knock on their door and ask, which would feel a little silly to me. But if I decide I want those seeds badly enough, that is what I will do.
You can ask first, garden people are kind.
No, it would not be ethical to take without asking.
That said, I'd probably take it anyway.
I mean one measly pod out of zillions...what possible harm would you be doing?
Geez, here I am admitting to all in cyberspace that I am not an ethical person!
"Shhhhh. I won't tell. Promise", Annie whispered.
So...........I'm checking back to see................
Did you get the seeds or not?
LOL
Make a dash pass and get them seeds.I think if they are hanging withinreach of the path thats public property enough.See if they can grow and post some pics!!
My comment skirts the entire ethics situation entirely. As the owner of a trumpet vine (campsis)that is over the top in many ways (primarily over the top of the fence), this is a plant which has been called "vigorous." Which is another way of saying that it grows easily. I have to say I have never actually known a trumpet vine started from seed. That is because the best way to start a trumpet vine is by a cutting, or a laying down of a tendril. If you look carefully at your neighbor's vines, you will see little brown rough growths at the nodes of the older vines. These are incipient roots that will become the real roots of your cutting if you keep the plant watered in a pot (best to do this before planting the vine where you want it). When your vine has rooted and looks viable, plant it where you want. It will take two years to flower. But this is a plant that thrives on neglect. The more you care for it, the more FOLIAGE you will get. Ater it is started, leave it alone and you'll get flowers, beautiful trumpets.
I've heard trumpet vine can be a bit of a thug, so be sure you really want it before you torment yourself further! :)
Post a Comment