Thursday, August 17, 2006

Weedeater

No, not the kind that does the edging on your lawn. The really cute kind.

I thought it was a rabbit, but people pointed out its long legs, and Bazza finally said it was probably a hare. Well, that would make sense, after reading this Wikipedia article. (And no, Lis, we will not be eating it for Sunday dinner.)


My Backyard Is This Rabbit's Hare's Grocery Store

Cottontail

Mmm, Dandelion Salad

Dandelion Salad

Having a Stretch Between Courses

Stretching

And a Good Scratch

Orey-Eyed Rabbit

But Still Alert to Danger

Alert to Danger

Not Just a Pretty Face, You Know

Not Just a Pretty Face

Staying Perfectly Still So It Can't be Seen

You Can't See Me Because I'm Staying Perfectly Still

Rabbit's Feet Are Good Luck (But I'm Not Sure About Hare's Feet)

Rabbit's Feet Are Good Luck
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

18 comments:

Sigruns German Garden said...

Oh, so cute photos. But I did want him in my garden, I have planted new today.
Karen, yesterday I have visited Sabines garden. Wow, she has a lot of daylilies!


http://www.bluebells-garten.de/
Look here!

Sigrun

Alison said...

He is lovely but I must say , much leaner than the one at the campground that I posted a pic of.

Philosophical Karen said...

Well, Sigrun, I am now almost choking with envy. Sabine has a beautiful garden! (And many, many daylilies.)

Dianne said...

What great close-ups! That is a cute bun bun. I was seeing one, but he seems to have vanished. :(

Lis vom Lindenhof said...

Wird der Hase am Sonntag gegessen? ;-)

Diana LaMarre said...

What kind of rabbit is that? He seems to have longer legs that the two I saw at my house today.

He sure hung around a long time for you to get such good pictures.

Philosophical Karen said...

The very long-legged photo was when the rabbit was stretching.

I don't know what type it is, but it also looks leaner than others people have spotted (and photographed) recently. I'm guessing it's quite young, which might explain why it's lean and why it wasn't overly scared of me.

MariaJ said...

Maybe this rabbit is checking places..."hmm delicious place, have to come later when everybody is sleeping..."
One of these almost killed my apple tree last winter. However have to admit your rabbit is so so cute. You got excellent photos.

Anonymous said...

Great shots! I love your play by play. The ear shot is the best in my opinion. :)

Philosophical Karen said...

Maria, in bad winters we get rabbit damage too. I try to put out food for them, but they prefer to nibble on my shrubs instead. Still, when the winter is so hard on the animals, I don't get too upset about the damage.

Kerri said...

Such great photos! He's a very cute bunny. I saw one on our morning walk this week. It stopped to look at us but it was too quick (like a bunny:) for me to get a shot of it. My camera goes with me ever since we saw a mommy deer and 2 fawns cross the road in front of us last week (and I didn't have the camera with me!!!).

Bazza said...

Hi Karen. We have foxes and grey squirrels in our garden and they are very destructive. Is that a big problem in the USA?
By the way, I think your rabbit is hare.

Bazza said...

Oops, I should have said 'Canada' in the previous comment. (Sorry!)

David (Snappy) said...

Hare now, gone tomorrow?What brilliant photos.He is a rock star of the rabbit world posing as you photographed him eating stretching and meandering off again for a sleep.Great pictures!!

Philosophical Karen said...

Bazza, I do believe you are right! The European Hare (or Eastern Jackrabbit) was introduced to North America very near my home, according to Wikipedia. Wow!

Anonymous said...

Karen I'm always impressed about how good you can write and understand the German language. how come? Have you ever lived here?

Your hare photos are first class, really fabulous!

Philosophical Karen said...

Carol, I studied German in high school for a few years. I remember just enough to pick up the sense of things. My husband's first language was German, but he is not completely fluent. His parents mostly spoke English in the home. They came to Canada from Berlin in the 1960s.

Tea said...

Great pictures! And how cool to get the ones of the hare! I`ve only seen bunnies around here.

tea
xo