Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Themeless

Everything is winding down. I harvested the first of my daylily seeds last night. Today's post has no theme to it. It is just a few pictures of the garden I took today.

Yesterday I bought a new Buddha-type ornament. It's a good size, but unfortunately not weatherproof, as it is really meant to be displayed indoors. Today 'Catherine Woodbury' (formerly called my unsolved mystery daylily) has three beautiful flowers. Many hostas are blooming now, but I still think the prettiest flowers are little delicate purple ones.


New Ornament

The New Buddha Ornament

New Growth on Spiderwort 'Sweet Kate'

Sweet Kate Spiderwort

Bob Is Still with Us!

Bob the Frog

Catherine Woodbury

Three 'Catherine Woodbury' Daylilies

Purple Hosta Flowers

Purple Hosta Flowers

10 comments:

David (Snappy) said...

Good old bob the frog.You know you can start many mad songs in your head with those words.I love the buddah statue.I have a few now, the start of a collection.

Anonymous said...

Bob is just too cute and his aqua color looks fantastic in your pink daylilies!

Alison said...

Such a strange time of year this winding down of the gardening season. I love the crisper air but I miss the garden fun. Mind you, there is much work yet to be done....

MariaJ said...

Nice Buddha Karen! Do you now have two? Do you want to collect more or is there something (garden decoration)special you'd like to buy later?

Philosophical Karen said...

Maria, now I have two and also a small Buddha head. This one I will have to bring inside before the next rain. It's not really suitable for the garden.

Since you are "crafty" maybe I can ask you: Do you know of a product I can spray or paint on cheap, light plaster to make it waterproof?

MariaJ said...

Lacquer spray COULD be possible but I havent ever tried it on plaster.

Instead spray what you think of my idea:is your husband a good carpenter? Maybe he could build you a little summerhouse for the Buddha...the style could be something like Asian (like they call teahouses) or could you buy it somewhere? There could be a pillar also...By the way your Budhha looks so real, like stone or something like that.

Philosophical Karen said...

Maria, that is a good idea. I will have to look around for something like that, or maybe some plans to build one.

Diana LaMarre said...

Karen, is that a second flush of bloom for the spiderwort?
I cut mine back after the first nice flush, but they never seem to rebloom once I cut them back.

Philosophical Karen said...

Zoey, I didn't cut mine back at all. This one ('Sweet Kate') gave me late summer and fall blooms last year (it bloomed well into October). So I'm not sure if it's just 'Sweet Kate' or whether the trick is not to cut back?

Kerri said...

Hosta flowers have never looked so pretty and graceful to me! Wonderful shot! My Catherine Woodbury is still blooming..but winding down. Also Cherry Cheeks, but the blooms are a much lighter color now. Love Bob the frog :)