Sunday, August 20, 2006

Containers

Well, I just noticed that the nurseries are advertising icicle pansies now. That's a sure sign that September is almost upon us.

I went out this evening to try and get some pictures of the garden and... I got nuthin'. Unless you want pictures of my prodigious collection of ripening hemerocallis seedpods, there's really just the containers.

Echinacea and Coleus in Evening Light

It rained yesterday, and I lost a couple more stems of leggy 'Chocolate Autumn' Sedum. It's beautiful stuff, but not self-supporting. It looks great with chartreuse foliage next to it. I'm trying to think what I could interplant it with when I transfer it to the garden. What I need is a perennial similar to ipomoea batata 'Marguerite'. (Just did a search and found this discussion. Now I have to look up those plants that I don't know and also find out which ones are hardy in this zone.)

Although the sedum has been a so-so performer, I really cannot complain about this container.

Plastic Urn

I can't say it failed to fill out. The unspectacular green foliage at the centre front is a maroon crysanthemum that I am waiting for its next flush of flowers.

Way back at the beginning of spring this container started out like this.

Plastic Urn Container

The scabiosa was a casualty, and I am currently trying to keep the columbines alive in a separate pot. (I think I have lost one already.) The saxifrage is still in there, under all the rest of that foliage.

Speaking of foliage, this is what my "shelf rock" looks like today.

Shelf Rock Planters

The bluish ceramic pot at the top is full of culinary herbs. I've yet to actually use them in cooking, but they look nice and so does the pot. Previously, the rock only had one planter on it. Then I noticed that the herb pot was the perfect size to perch on the "second tier" of the rock. I am pleased with the effect.

And finally, pretty pink pelargonium never disappoints me. I am not as fond of ordinary red or white, but this colour is beautiful.

Pelargonium in Cast Iron Urn
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

3 comments:

Robin said...

You do so lovely with containers! I have a knack for killing any and all plants I put in containers. I will come by and visit yours here instead! :)

Kerri said...

Your containers are looking lovely. I have a pelargonium just about that color and yes, they never disappoint!
That top container has some pretty contrasts. We learn something new every year when planting them, don't we?

Philosophical Karen said...

Matt, it's tough to maintain a beautiful container from spring through fall, because of the different bloom times of flowers. Also, planning ahead for a certain effect can be difficult when you expect a plant to bloom a certain way and it fails to live up to expectations. Some container plants will succumb easily to pests or diseases, and most are unforgiving of forgetful waterers. So there are lots of issues with containers, but I am learning more every year about how to avoid the pitfalls.