Thursday, August 24, 2006

University Campus

My son is going to day camp at the University of Waterloo, which is my own and my husband's alma mater. It is a very good quality camp, where they are exposed from a young age to many scientific and engineering concepts.

For example, my son has learned how to build strong bridges out of popsicle sticks (also known as craft sticks, or wooden coffee stirrers), and in his most recent session they were able to dissect a real cow's eye. (The younger age groups do "virtual dissection" on the computer.)

Cow Eyes Were Dissected in this Room

Camp Room

Today after I dropped my son off in the Biology building, I wandered around taking photos of the many plantings on campus. The grounds are in some ways more beautiful today than when I was a student, because as the open space is filled in with new buildings, more attention is paid to creating gardens in the smaller spaces that are left.

Alumni Lane

Alumni Lane Sign with Hollyhocks and Daylilies

Alumni Lane was just being started when my husband and I graduated, with each graduating class donating a tree. Now there are many sturdy trees where once there were only a few saplings. [By the way, as shown in this photo there were many, many daylily plants on campus, some of which had seedpods bursting open just begging to be harvested -- so now I have a few seeds in my purse.]

This horse chestnut tree is not part of Alumni Lane, but it has been preserved in its own little area. It is starting to show signs of changing colour for autumn.

Horse Chestnut Tree

These built-in benches were there when we were students, although the landscaping around them has changed a bit.

Built-in Benches

Concrete plays a big part in the architecture on campus, but does not preclude the beauty of plant life. I think they have done a good job of combining the two, as these different styles of planters show.

Large Square Planter

Big Square Planter

The Principle of Repetition

Concrete Planters

Snapdragons for Colour

Snapdragons

This pergola and courtyard was all open space when we were students. I think it is an improvement.

Pergola

Pergola by the Campus Centre

Campus Centre Courtyard

Campus Centre Courtyard

We spent a lot of our time in the Math building when we were students. In those days there were no flowers around the blue sculpture; it was just on the grass. These photos also include some closer looks at the blue sculpture garden.

Math Building

UW Math Building

Blue Sculpture Garden

Blue Sculpture Garden

Sempervivum and Portulaca

Sempervivum and Portulaca

I Think this is Coreopsis

Coreopsis? in Blue Sculpture Garden
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

I hope you have enjoyed this tour of the area around the Math and Sciences buildings of the University of Waterloo campus. Waterloo has a large campus and this is just one part of it. If I get the chance I will show more another time.

8 comments:

Dianne said...

Awesome photos! At first the one photo looked like a Penn State building-I had to take a double take. : )

Sigruns German Garden said...

Hi Karen, very good inspiration, the photos. The best one is the first with the eyes!
But I do not like the blue building!

Sigrun

Kerri said...

Ugh, dissecting cow eyes...not my cup of tea! But...all in the name of science!
Lovely walk around the campus...beautiful pictures. Lovely gardens. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, Moonbeam Coreopsis...pretty, isn't it?

MariaJ said...

I enjoyed the this tour also. Especially I liked pergola and Campus Centre Courtyard photos.

Annie Jeffries said...

That blue "art" piece above made me laugh. We have four similar "art" piece like this around our campus. Could have been done by the same "artist". Gee, am I telling you how I really feel? The garden though is very pretty.

Philosophical Karen said...

I think abstract metal forms are one of my favourite types of sculpture. But art is in the eye of the beholder.

Architecture is subjective too. I like the more modern glass structures better than the concrete monoliths of the sixties and seventies. But not everyone feels the same.

Hmm, having said that, I am not sure how I feel about the Davis Centre, which my son and I must pass through to get to the quad where the campers gather in the morning.

Diana LaMarre said...

Enjoyed the tour, Karen. I really liked the repetitive containers and the large square planter.

The blue artwork just doesn't do it for me, either!
Maybe if it had been planted in all blues and purples...a bunch of purple allium all around it in the spring might be interesting....

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Thanks for your prayers and sympathy and thanks too for your happy greetings. I'll be back by Wednesday for the Wordless Wednesday.
My sister-in-law was finally put to rest. Cremation took place yesterday. It was a very painful moment for all of us as she was loved by the family. However, when one loves someone, she/he must also learn how to let go.
I would also like to thank you for the happy greetings for my new grandson.
I'll be back Wednesday for the Wordless Wednesday. As of now, my head seems to be floating on air. I can't seem to find my brains anywhere yet.