I've begun harvesting my daylily seeds.When harvesting, I just snap the whole pod off the scape and then put the pods in a paper bag or envelope until they are quite dry. I don't keep the actual pods too long, because they can go moldy. I also don't put them in plastic bags for that reason, either. The plastic retains moisture and the seeds end up covered in mold.
If you want to know what variety of daylily they came from, you can save the different pods, and later just the seeds, in separate envelopes. (By the way, if you reuse the envelopes that all those credit card offers and magazine renewal notices come in, you will be helping the environment even more.)
Growing from Seed
To grow daylilies from seed, you start with the seeds you have collected from the pods. (This link is to my last year's post on the subject.)
Seed is collected as the capsule matures, dries, and is beginning to split at the distil end (Munson, 1989). Seed collected from dormant daylilies benefits from cold stratification at 32-45 F. Following stratification the seed can be dried and stored at room temperature until sown (Griesbach, 1956). Seeds resulting from evergreen parents can be directly sown or handled and stored the same as described above for seeds from dormant parents (Benzinger, 1968; Munson, 1989).
~ From Hemerocallis (Daylily) Propagation by Winston C. Dunwell.
I guess that means that all daylily seeds, regardless of whether the plants are dormant or evergreen, can benefit from a little bit of fake winter (which I have learned is what "cold stratification" means).
Detailed directions for cold stratification can be found at this web site, although it does not talk about daylily seeds in particular. I like this description because it is a bit New Age and talks about using the winter solstice as an indicator of when to plant. This site has a more horticultural approach containing much the same information, although it is not quite so detailed.

I should at this point say that I have been able to germinate daylily seeds that were not treated with cold stratification. I just didn't get overwhelming results in terms of number of successful germinations and first year seedlings.
Only about 50 percent of the seeds I planted in jiffy pellets germinated. And of those, when I planted the seedlings in the garden in the fall, fewer than half survived the first year. The exact statistics were: 15 seeds planted in spring, 7 sprouted and were planted in the garden in fall, 3 returned the next year. (The daylilies were just an experiment for me when I did them -- I was growing all sorts of other things from seed, too.)
'Moonglow' Seedling Bloom
(From Seed Harvested Fall 2004, Planted January 2005)

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.
Another novice gardener I sent some of my seeds to was working in a high-altitude climate in the southwestern U.S., and she had similar statistics despite the different seeding and planting conditions in her climate. About 20 percent of the seeds she tried to germinate actually ended up as live plants that survived in her garden. She also did not do any cold stratification or use any special method other than poking a seed into a jiffy pellet.
This year I will try cold stratification and hopefully get some better results.
10 comments:
Sounds like so much fun. I actually have a very fat seed pod on one of my plants and I thought I would give this a try as well.
By the way, the daylily farm is selling all of their 2005 potted daylilies at 50% off. I'm thinking I need to make a trip!
Very interesting, Karen. I thought it would take much longer to get a bloom from seed.
Great info Karen! I`d like to try that sometime. My one and only day lily hasn`t any pods though.
tea
xo
Karen, you are a pro!
Sigrun
I'm glad you posted about this because I've been wondering about the procedure. I'd love to have a chat over the garden fence (or better still, over a cup of tea :) with you about it...the pollinating and all.
How long must the seeds be kept cold?
I've also wondered if there's any special treatment I should give the lilies in fall...or spring.
Kerri, I am not an expert, but I have found that the daylilies look after themselves (unless they get thrips or spider mites, then I use insecticidal soap on them). I am a very low-maintenance gardener. ;-)
For keeping the seeds cold, two of the methods described looked good. One is to keep the seeds in the fridge in a folded up, moistened paper towel (stored in a freezer bag), for three weeks to three months. The longer you leave them, the more you have to check to make sure the seeds are okay and not going moldy. Another way if you have room in your fridge is just to put the planted jiffy pellets right in the fridge for three weeks or so before you set them in the light to try and grow them. Apparently this is a good thing to do if it's fairly close to planting time.
I haven't tried any of these methods myself, but I might do an experiment this fall using late fall planting, paper towel method, and jiffy pellet method and check the results.
I've got a zillion pods and have the seeds in small "coin envelopes" (check ebay or a hobby store) to avoid the problem of mold from tiny plastic bags. In almost all cases, I know the name of the pod parent (the mommy) but not the daddy (open pollination). The most prolific mothers in my garden:
'Dragon's Eye'
'Little Wart'
'Double Grapette'
'Kent's Favorite Two'
'Judith' (less than the others)
Your post is going to be very helpful! For now, though, I think that at least half will go into the refrigerator, and I may fall-sow the rest.
I am so glad I found your posts. I have the seeds,will put half in the fridge and the other half in an envelope but how do I know when to plant them and do I keep them inside and plant in the fall or the spring ? Help please !!! Elaine
Thanks for all of the info. I have the seeds......now what. Half in fridge half in envelope ? Plant inside until fall or plant in spring ? Any chance I could keep them in the house all winter in pots with potting soil and plant in spring ??? I really want this to work ! Thanks for all of your comments, Elaine
Elaine, I have no contact information for you, so the best I can do is reply to your comment here.
If the seeds are going to produce a strong plant that will survive, it doesn't matter what you do to them. Too much coddling may result in a plant that won't survive once you get it out in the garden anyway.
You could try planting some of your seeds directly in the garden, and see if they grow. You can also start some inside in midwinter and plant them outside in pots in the spring (in pots so you can control their exposure to sun and shade), then put them in the garden in fall.
I have some seedlings blooming this year that I left in pots and neglected for a year and a half -- even leaving them outside in the pots over the winter. You have to think they must be STRONG plants if they survived that.
I have no idea what zone you are in, so summer heat might be more of a concern for you than winter cold. If so, I can't help very much with that.
Post a Comment