'Frans Hals' by Chain Link Fence

'Siloam Merle Kent' Double Bloom

When we first got some landscaping done, I was determined that I didn't like evergreens. (That's because my memories of evergreens were of those great big junipers that people put in front of their houses in the sixties and seventies. They would slowly die from underneath and often were neglected and weed-infested.)
I've since changed my tune rather dramatically.
For example, I now know that the best groundcover with rocks is creeping juniper. Creeping juniper is so pretty when it spills over the rocks into the garden below, as in this picture I took of the last two 'Lavender Rainbow' blooms at the end of July.
Lavender Rainbow with Creeping Juniper

Also in this picture, in the upper right corner, you can see another juniper that I have fallen in love with, and that is 'Saybrook Gold'. I bought quite a few of them, very tiny ones. They have since grown, but I am trying to keep them in check with judicious pruning. So far they have all stayed very healthy and I get minimal winter kill. (I am desperately searching for something made of wood to touch right now! You know, because I'm superstitious like that.)
I will have to talk more about evergreens another time. What I really want to post right now is different parts of the garden, such as these two items of note from the patio.
Perennial Planter

Echeveria 'Topsy Turvy' with Daughters

And finally, a quick photo of echinacea growing along the east fence in my "hidden" corner. There is a large plantaginea hosta beneath, but so far it is not sending up any scapes. I have other plantagineas that are blooming, so I can enjoy their large white scented flowers in other parts of the garden. The echinacea in this part of the yard are 'Magnus' and 'Ruby Star'. I'm not sure which are in the photo.
Hosta and Echinacea

All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.
5 comments:
Karen, this Siloam is very pretty. They have a lot good daylilies from this breeder. I have one - Silam Baby Talk.
Sigrun
Its nice you mentioned junipers cause I have these too in my garden and I adore them! I'll show you photos some day. Your topsy turver is exciting! I havent seen it here. Could it survive here....I have to add it to my MUST HAVE-list.
Maria, if you have a reliable source for unusual plants you can raise these outside for the summer, then bring them inside for the winter. It is the wet more than the cold that they dislike. (One thing I learned with a similar plant earlier this year is not to bring it outside again before June. Here anyway, even though it's warm our spring is too damp.)
Karen,
I agree that the junipers look great in your garden. They soften the rock edges. I like what I can see of the 'Saybrook Gold'. You will have to post more about that one later.
Your perennial container is great. That's a big craze now you know -- planting perennials in containers. I was just reading an article in Garden Gate magazine (May/June issue) about it. I had planned to use some heuchera in one of mine this year, but never got around to doing it.
I don't think I have ever seen Echeveria 'Topsy Turvy' before you posted it. Very neat looking plant. Has yours flowered yet? I read it gets orange flowers.
Zoey, unlike my other echeveria, this one is showing no sign of flowering. It was relatively small when I got it. I am going to try to keep it alive indoors through the winter, so hopefully I can enjoy it (or its progeny) next year too.
Echeveria is also making the magazines. An article I read recently (long after I had mine) listed 'Topsy Turvy' as a notable one.
Post a Comment