Friday, August 11, 2006

Enjoying the Garden

Like many other avid gardeners I enjoy my garden. I also know it well. Some parts of the garden might seem like comfortable places to curl up, but I know better.

The Arbour Bench with Some Black Cushions

The Arbour Bench with Some Cushions

When we first got the arbour bench I bought cushions for it and pictured it as a lovely haven to retreat to with a book. I soon learned a few things. The bench is placed in the highest part of the garden at the back. There is no real privacy there from the neighbours on either side of our house. It's also not the most picturesque view of the garden.

View from Arbour Bench Looking West

View from Arbour Bench Looking West

As our trees grow we are gaining more privacy, and it is not really the view from the bench that is its best feature. Sitting up on the bench puts you closer to the birds (although it is those same birds that make it necessary to wipe off the bench seat before setting down any cushions). The view looking up makes it seem very cozy too.

Looking Up

Looking Up in the Arbour Bench

Moving on now, one of my favourite brief resting spots in the backyard is actually to perch on top of the deck box.

One of My Favourite Perches (The Deck Box)

The Deck Box

For most of the hottest part of the day that spot is in the shade of the house. The designer who worked with our landscaper originally recommended against putting a patio where we did because it would almost always be in shade. (Perhaps he was forgetting how nice shade is on hot days in July and August.) I am glad I went with my own instincts in this case.

This spot atop the deck box affords the widest and most complete view of the backyard garden. It's not very comfortable for relaxing, though.

Views from the Deck Box

Looking West from Deck Box

Looking Ahead from Deck Box

Looking East from Deck Box

To sit and relax and drink tea or lemonade, the best place is on the deck. (Hmm, the next major staining project is definitely the deck.)

Comfy Chairs on the Deck

Comfy Chairs on the Deck

There are shady spots available there for most of the day, and the deck has a great view of the bird feeders, which attract many different types of birds. The trumpet vine on top of the arbour also attracts hummingbirds.

Views from the Comfy Chairs

View of Yard from Comfy Chairs

Deck View from Comfy Chairs
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

So you see, what I have is really just a small suburban backyard that looks good from a few angles and not-so-good from others. Doesn't matter though; I still enjoy it.

5 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

You were smart to build the patio in the shade. I can never understand people building a deck in the sun.It's so hot they never use it.
I insisted on building mine L-shaped so that I would always have one side in the shade. At least once a year DH mentions how glad he is that I insisted. There is always a comfortable spot to sit no matter what time of day.

You have really made your suburban backyard feel like a country palace!

David (Snappy) said...

You have a few places to relax and observe the garden.I either sit on the back door step, or at the front of the house on the grass slope which is comfortable.I did not find a good position for the cloth chairs.Your garden looks divine...

Sigruns German Garden said...

Karen, it is bad, that you live not nearby! We can not together go trough our gardens.

Sigrun

Dianne said...

It's a nice backyard with lots of visual interest. You've put a lot of yourself in it and that's what makes it extra special!

Kerri said...

This is a great, seeing your whole backyard. Really puts everything in perspective. You've created a beautiful space to enjoy nature. I'm amazed you get so many wild visitors (no, I don't mean the neighbors :) Great photos, as usual. Thanks for sharing these lovely views.