I Stained this Bench Today

I had hoped to make it look almost new. But no. Well, at least parts of it look "renewed".
Here is what it looked like when it was new. (I should say that my husband built it from plans in a book we bought. Over a year later I found the exact same plans from the book publisher free on the web.) By the way, I wonder if there is anything much recognizable in this picture from three years ago.

What it does show, though, is how the evergreens looked when I first planted them. Everything was so small, and there seemed to be so much space in the garden. Here is what the evergreens just behind the rocks look like now.
Evergreens Today

You can see lots of 'Saybrook Gold' juniper (all the yellow). And if you know your evergreens you will also see Mugho Pine, Dwarf Globe Blue Spruce, and Dwarf Hinoki Cyprus, all growing into each other. The point of the evergreens is of course winter interest. And the variety of shape, colour, and texture in a small area.
And finally, here is a sort of gratuitous garden view, looking from the bench at the birdbath and down towards the camperdown elm tree.
View from Bench

All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.
8 comments:
Have just found your blog - lovely, lovely photos. What is the creeper growing over the arbour? It grows really well here, often wild and last year I took some cuttings. But they didn't take, and not knowing what it is, I haven't been able to find out what I did wrong. How did you start yours off?
I've recently started a gardening blog. You can find me at www.balcony-garden.blogspot.com
If you'd like to swap links, let me know.
Sue, it is trumpet vine (campsis). You can find out more about it here:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/644/index.html
I think your bench looks now better than it was before! Your trumpet wine is beautiful also. Oh evergreens, its always nice to see before-after photos. Especially yours are great!
Very nice photos Karen and when I saw the bench I wanted to say the same as Maria did already, I like it much better in that darker color! It looks really fab now!
O.k., Karen, this year dark brown and in two years blue?
Sigrun
This is the exact same stain as before, only the stain turned dark brown this time. Because the wood is older, I guess.
Sigrun, now I am thinking about blue to match the deck and the shed. We would have to take the bench apart to do that though. It's a bigger job. Hmm. I am still thinking about it. ;-)
Nice bench I like the after look. Now it needs a nice quilt pillows a few magazines and most important YOU relaxing in it taking in the beauty of your garden!
I also like it much better now than when new.
Isn't it amazing how fast your garden has grown?
Love all the color variation in the evergreens.
Post a Comment