Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Front Garden

We had bright sunny weather today, so I was able to get the last of my bulbs planted. I hadn’t meant to buy any more bulbs, but when I saw a planting kit of 40 mixed pink daffodils (they came in a canvas bag with a trowel and some fertilizer), I couldn’t resist.

So today I planted 20 in our front garden and as a gift to my mother I planted the other 20 in hers. The great advantage of actually planting the bulbs as part of the gift is that now she does not have to worry about doing it herself in the ever-shorter time we have before the ground starts to freeze.

Front Garden with Autumn Colours

Front Garden Colour

In the photo above, most notably missing now are the corkscrew hazel bushes. They fell prey to Eastern Filbert Blight. Because the spores of that disease are in the air now, we will not be replacing the corkscrew hazels, even though we have never had a garden without them as long as we have had a garden to call our own (almost 15 years).

Eastern Filbert Blight on Corkscrew Hazel

Eastern Filbert Blight on Corkscrew Hazel

Once you see the lesions, the spores are already spreading. It’s difficult to eradicate without destroying the whole plant (so that’s what we did). Here is a picture of one of the corkscrew hazels from early June.

Corkscrew Hazel in Better Days

Corkscrew Hazel

I neglected to mention that the evening class I am taking is a photography course at the local community college. (In Canada, a community college confers two-year diplomas, while a university confers undergraduate and post-graduate degrees.)

My class is just a personal interest course, but it is taught by the same man who does some of the diploma courses in photography. I took this photo of echinacea for class. (I was able to take this photo using manual settings, without letting the camera do the work. That is new for me. This course has been very useful!)

Echinacea Two Weeks Ago

'White Swan' Echinacea in the Front Garden

Here is that same flower today. There is a little worm on top of it but it doesn't show up very well.

Echinacea Today

Autumn Echinacea

Other autumn photos of the front garden today include this close up of creeping jenny and English ivy.

Creeping Jenny and English Ivy

Ivy and Creeping Jenny

Also, this close up of the burning bush euonymous, showing a couple of red berries.

Burning Bush Euonymous

Burning Bush Berries
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

8 comments:

MariaJ said...

Wonderful photos, I especially liked that Creeping Jenny and English Ivy. WoW what colors!

Ki said...

Yike, the eastern filbert blight on the Corkscrew Hazel looks nasty! Like one of those bad SciFi movies with stuff growing in/out of peoples bodies. BRRRRR gives me the willies. I'm usually not squeamish at all but for some unknown reason, that picture really bothers me.

Anita said...

Uhhh, MariaJ is right, what amazing colours, especially the bright red one the last photo!
What kind of bulbs did you plant?

Diana LaMarre said...

Karen, how sad you had to lose your Corkscrew Hazels.

Your photography class sounds like fun. We have a community college in my town and I have taken more classes than I can remember. I have actually earned 2 associate degrees through my years of taking classes just because I love to learn. I haven't taken any classes for the past two years. I was taking all the computer software classes (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.). I hope you enjoy your class as much as I enjoyed all of mine!

Annie in Austin said...

They used to sell the corkscrew filberts as "Harry Lauder's Walking Sticks" and I always wanted one when I lived in the North. What a dreadful disease that is. I'm so sorry you lost them.

The creeping jenny turns red? How cool!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Alison said...

Stunning colours!

Philosophical Karen said...

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Anita, I planted most of my bulbs in September, described here.

The bulbs I planted this time were an unnamed "pink daffodil mix". So I imagine it was Pink Charm, Easter Bonnet, Mon Cherie and the like, which I already have in other parts of my garden.

Zoey, I thought learning the technical aspects of photography would be a bit boring, but so far it's been most interesting and informative.

Annie, I know of "Harry Lauder's Walking Stick" as an alternative name, but I didn't think anyone would really use it.

Kerri said...

That Blight is horrible. What a shame to lose your plants to it.
The photography class sounds very interesting. I wish we were closer to a Community College here. Our closest is about 35 mins away.
I like the comparison of the echinacea. Sad to see the blooms go!
Love that Creeping Jenny with the ivy. Such pretty colors together! The burning bush is such a vibrant color.
Lovely pic of the front garden.