Sunday, October 01, 2006

The New Plan

The new plan evolved spontaneously.

Before we discovered its brilliance, we were proceeding under the old plan, which was to rip out the dead grass and plant seed using the "fat grass" recipe so we could have a thick new lawn in spring.

When all the grass was removed, the dirt looked like this.

The Dirt

It seemed so silly to have a flagstone path end at the edge of a flat patch of grass. So I played with the idea of extending the path. Then we decided that the leftover mulch we've been hoarding since spring was just enough to cover the dirt we had exposed. Et voila.

The New Plan

The effect is even more dramatic in the vertical view.

Vertical View of New Garden Bed
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

The new plan involved putting down leftover mulch and doing a bit of flagstone juggling to make a natural extension of the existing garden path. Next spring we will buy more flagstone, dig the rest up, and redo the path. We will do a proper job of it, and also finally decide what to do about putting in a pond.

8 comments:

Anita said...

Karen, I very much like that new bed borderd by those big stones. Well done!
By the way, congratulations to your new blog design. Apparently, you did not lose the previous posts. Me too, I would like to change my blog design - without losing my old posts and pictures. How did you do that?

Lis vom Lindenhof said...

Oh, you has a new design, there must I only again to it get accustomed

MariaJ said...

We've both been busy with our paths...Your flatstones look very nice, I like the way YOU EXTENDED IT. Youll have plenty of time to create an awasome pond area. Thanks for the fat grass hint...I think I'll use it someday. Hope you have a nice weather and you can enjoy your garden.

Unknown said...

Wonderful! Sometimes it's a pain in the rear to change focus on a project mid-stride... and it would have looked wonderful the other way but I really love it now! It's always good to stop and take stock halfway through, no? :)

Diana LaMarre said...

Karen,
that looks great...the eye travels way down that path making it look even longer than it is. Good design choice. Can't wait to see it next year.

Bob said...

Do you plan on planting in the area that you've mulched?

Philosophical Karen said...

UKBob, your question should really be "WHAT do you plan on planting?" ;-)

I've got some heuchera and daylilies, a Japanese anemone, a blue fescue, some hostas to move from other parts of the garden, and a few other perennials that are in containers waiting to be planted out. Those are for the dark area. The larger area might become a pond next spring. If it doesn't, we might plant a large tree, in which case I will make a garden around it.

Please understand that what you see here is just a stopgap measure for the fall. In spring we will buy more flagstone and mulch and make it all come together and blend with the rest of the garden.

Hannele på Hisingen said...

Your stones looks great, nice plants, I like heuchera.