Monday, October 16, 2006

Tubers

You really know you are a gardener when you start to get excited about finding a big fat Ipomoea tuber when you clean out the last patio container.

Big Fat Ipomoea Tuber

Ipomeoa Tuber

Unfortunately, there's nothing to show scale in this photo, but it's a big fat tuber. I might just be able to close my fist around it. (I do have small hands though.)

I'm trying to guess if there is any relationship between size of plant and size of tubers. I don't know. The Sweet Caroline Ipomoea didn't get big tubers, and some got none at all. However, the "old regulars" seem to have given me a couple of decent tubers, which I will now save in a paper bag in the garage and see what happens if I plant them. I hope I will remember to start them early enough.

This is the container that yielded the nice big tuber.

This Container (Seen Here in Better Days)
Gave Me the Tuber Above


Tuber Container

From this container, I got nothin'.

Nothing From This Container

Plastic Urn
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be borrowed without attribution.

4 comments:

MariaJ said...

WOW its huge! HOpe you can use it again next season.

Diana LaMarre said...

It looks like we are all digging up these tubers this month.

I have not been able to determine what causes the big tubers. All of my vines grew equally and yet, like yours, one did not produce any tuber at all.

It's strange, this world of gardening.

Philosophical Karen said...

Well, it's related to the sweet potato we buy in stores and eat. So this one is probably edible but I wouldn't want to risk it unless I was starving.

Sisah said...

This is really interesting,Karen. I have the same plants in my patio containers, there are still outside even though we had two nights with temperatures below zero. I already wondered if I could save these Ipomoeas for next year. This weekend I´ll dig them out, maybe I`ll find such an easteregg...
I found your weblog by surfing around ...now I´ll visit you more often.