
Above the climbing hydrangea we have placed a squirrelproof feeder with shelled peanuts. This afternoon when I was photographing the yellow in the garden, I saw the woodpecker land on it briefly. We have put some suet in a wire cage hanging in the willow tree. I think the suet would be less work for the woodpecker than trying to extract peanuts from the feeder.

You can't see the suet in the photo below, but if the willow loses enough of its leaves, it will be more visible. The maidenhair gingko tree is another plant whose leaves recently turned yellow. Gingkos are naturally slow growers, so that burst of growth to the east is a bit of a surprise. The tree looks windblown (that is the predominant direction of the wind), but I am not sure what is causing the tree to grow in that direction.

The heuchera can be relied on to retain their natural colour throughout the winter, and combined with the fallen yellow leaves from the Deborah maple, they make a nice mosaic of colour.

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.
7 comments:
Very nice fall picures... you gardens look wonderful.
Stunning colours!!! I must get out today to take some pics before all of the colour is gone.
I particularly like the way everything is arranged, with the rocks, shrubs and all. It's a lovely space you have there Karen and looking pretty with the golden colors.
My heuchera got buried by the bleeding hearts last spring. I'll have to keep that in mind next year and try to do something about it. I want to get some of the darker foliage variety. It's pretty.
What a wonderful post... lovely fall "eye candy," Karen. And lucky you, to have a woodpecker at the feeders! He blends in quite well, except for the red on his head. :)
I, too, appreciate the colors of dying foliage every fall. I planted heuchras last fall and I have really enjoyed the purple color with the yellow of the dying hostas. Your garden is still looking very nice.
I agree with the others Karen, your garden looks like a wonderful autumn land, really. All the shades of autumn colours are here. Love your Woodpecker...quess why...and your story of evergreens is really true also here.
I think the same, your garden is very colourful and a realy autumn garden. This week, if sun is shining, I will go in the wood to take some photos from trees.
Sigrun
Post a Comment