Friday, October 13, 2006

Weather

It's just hitting me, what this snow means.

Since I had to go to class last night, I didn't really have the presence of mind to think about the plants. They could have been covered with sheets. The remaining containers could move inside. The echeveria and Lewisia Cotyledon that I've been meaning to transplant and move to storage -- it hasn't been done. I figured there was still a couple of weeks left to take care of it.

We haven't even really had a frost. A few days ago we were wearing T-shirts (and some people were still wearing shorts). Snow was not up there on the list of things to worry about where the garden was concerned.

Today the temperature is below freezing.

It's really been a strange autumn for weather.

Here are some photos I took yesterday morning, when snow was the furthest thing from my mind.

Bike Path Trees Through the Upstairs Window

Bike Path Trees Through the Upstairs Window

Backyard from Above (After the Rain)

Backyard from Above

Cutleaf Sumac

Cutleaf Sumac

Delphinium Rebloom

Delphinium Rebloom

Trellis Leaves

Trellis Leaves

10 comments:

sonia a. mascaro said...

Beautiful photos, Karen!

Philosophical Karen said...

The cutleaf sumac does not seem to have the same spreading roots as the staghorn sumac did. (I'm hoping it stays that way.)

Hannele på Hisingen said...

Nice photos, we have still warm.

Anita said...

Oh Karen, that sumac leaves are stunning! Our weather has changed now, it's much colder compared to the sunny days we had a week ago. Welcome autumn!

Unknown said...

Karen, I LOVE that "backyard from above" view... you must look at it from that angle and really know that you've created your own little paradise. :)

Anonymous said...

The cutleaf sumac is gorgeous!
Is the snow gone again?

Thank you for the comment you've left on my blog today. I'm glad that you like the name I've chosen for my house! :D

Diana LaMarre said...

Ditto on the sumac. Just beautiful color!
Snow in October is pretty common for me in Michigan. It always melts fast.
I still have to get a few of my tender tropicals put away. They are covered tonight. I am hoping to get them put away tomorrow.

PastormacsAnn said...

These pictures are lovely.

Kerri said...

Beautiful pictures Karen! You have a nice wooded area out back. Your backyard is pretty in all seasons. You've done a wonderful job with it. Love the sumac color...so vibrant!
I've been putting my containers under cover and am still enjoying a bit of color from them, although they're being rained on today.
It's always nice when something reblooms, isn't it? A little bonus :)

FO - 2 said...

Beautiful colours! Soon it will be green... Keep up the good work and enjoy! :) Best regards from Norway.