Tuesday, September 05, 2006

What to Do When October Ends

Snappy recently had a post asking people whether they would keep their blog going through the winter. Last year, this blog had about three people reading it, and some occasional interest from readers on my other blogs. (I'm a compartmental blogger. I keep my gardening blog separate from my photography blog and from my "journal".)

This year, thanks to Garden Voices I've made many new friends who only know me as a gardener. They might not feel that the non-gardening side of my blogging works as well for them. For example, my photography blog tends to follow preset themes, and my journal is mostly words, which might not suit people who are used to more photo-oriented garden blogging.

I was talking with Kerri about doing retrospective posts on the gardening blog, and showcasing many photos that haven't previously been displayed. Winter also offers the opportunity to show snow scenes and houses decorated for Christmas. Winter wildlife is another possibility. (I don't do houseplants, so don't look to me for that.)

It just didn't seem worth posting to the gardening blog from November to March last year since no one read it. However, this year I will give it a try, keeping this blog going instead of shutting it down. I just hope those of you who have been so kind in visiting through the summer will continue to pop by as the cold weather sets in.

Evergreen, Heuchera, and Iron Bird

11 comments:

roybe said...

Hello Karen, yes do keep your blog going I love see autumn and winter scenes. Living in the subtropics we don't experience any real cold. Do many people have heated greenhouses over there to experiment with a few tropical plants? I'm sure you'll find plenty of nice wintry things to share anyway.

Alison said...

I'll be here so I hope you will too.

Sigruns German Garden said...

Karen, yes, we are blogging trough the winter. I have a biiig archive with photos from the garden, from other places. Show us the town where you live, the wood, the church, what you like. And I will visit you like in summer.

Sigrun

Unknown said...

Karen, I will definitely be visiting to enjoy some more of your gorgeous photos!

While the garden may be mostly dormant, there is still lots of planning and dreaming to do for it during the winter. I plan to blog, just maybe not quite as often.

MariaJ said...

I will miss you if I dont hear of you at winter so no matter what and where you write I'll be there.

Dianne said...

I happen to love gardens in the snow. ; )

Tea said...

Oh yes! Please keep blogging. I`ve been wondering the same about what the garden bloggers will do over the winter. I`m suffering from garden envy and home interior envy and cottage envy and now I suppose I may as well add Christmas decor envy to the list LOL
Mines mostly just a mish mash because I`m only just starting to take interest in gardening. Hopefully next year I`ll have something more to say about it all.
I`ll keep looking I promise :)
It`s nice to read a fellow Ontarian`s blog!
Love your pictures.

tea
xo

David (Snappy) said...

Hey Karen I will pay my daily visits to your blog.It must have struck a nerve because i got more responses to that post than many others!Its good to know people will plan, photograph snow, and keep us reading through winter to springtime!

Diana LaMarre said...

I am glad to hear you won't be closing down. I love to read about decorating projects, good books, cooking, quilting, hobbies, Christmas decorating....there is so much to write about. I will look forward to learning about your winter interests.

Kerri said...

Yes, to all of the above! Winter gives us time to catch up (archives), and talk about other interests, post snow pictures for the non-snow dwellers to enjoy, etc.
We get a chance to learn a bit more about each other. Fun :)

Carol Michel said...

I'm planning to continue posting all through the winter. Gardening never ends for me, even in zone 5 when the snow flies!