Monday, September 04, 2006

Another St. Jacobs Photo

Based on some comments, I realized I forgot about one of the photos I took in St. Jacobs. (It's not the best quality photo; maybe that's why I "forgot" it.) Anyway, Bazza asks if there are horses in St. Jacobs. Being in the heart of Mennonite country, St. Jacobs has an abundance of horses. The Mennonites still use horse and buggy as their means of transportation, so areas around St. Jacobs (including the thoroughly modern shopping mall parking lot in nearby Waterloo) are usually equipped with horse shelters like this one.

Shelter for Mennonite Horses in St. Jacobs

I believe it is this sort of thing that makes St. Jacobs what it is. I like designer kitchenware as much as the next person, but I can go to a shopping mall to buy that stuff. Luckily, St. Jacobs still has stores where potters and weavers and blacksmiths and broommakers (among others) can sell their beautiful handmade goods.