Sunday, September 10, 2006

Eating Kangaroo

We have a meat supplier who owns an elk farm and also has deer (those big European ones from which the "proud stag" image evolved). Through his contacts, our meat supplier can provide us with caribou, bison, wild boar, muscovy duck, ostrich meat, and organic turkeys (at Christmastime). Most of these are from local farms, although not the caribou because they are wild animals from the far north. (He does not get a lot of caribou meat; it is only available in small amounts and at certain times.)

Our meat supplier recently received a small shipment of kangaroo meat and offered it to his regular customers. My husband ordered some and we went to pick it up yesterday. (We had it for dinner and it was similar to elk and venison, only more tender.)

These photos were taken on our trip to the elk farm to pick up our order.

This was a funny sign we saw along the way.

Road Safety Sign

Speeding Results in Heavy Fines (and Accidents)

Well, the sign itself is not so funny, just that it warns about driving your car too fast, and somebody drove too fast and knocked over the sign.

Here is one from the farm store, for Lis.

Jackrabbit Hat

If You Eat a Jackrabbit for Dinner, You Can Also Get a Hat Out of It

If you eat a jackrabbit for dinner, you can also get a hat out of it.

And finally, a nice sign from a cafe where we always have lunch when we visit the elk farm. They do very good "country cooking", not necessarily gourmet, but hearty and delicious.

Where We Had Lunch

Teaberry Cafe
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be borrowed without attribution.

As you can see, the sign is surrounded by a beautiful garden overflowing with flowering plants.

On that visit we also stopped in the local candy shop and a second-hand store that was sort of like an antique shop but also had good used stereo equipment and a few other things an antique store wouldn't carry. I considered buying an old washtub, and a couple of old maple sap collection buckets to use as planters next year, but I thought better of it. We can always go back, as there were plenty of those buckets available.

I will have to ask Zoey what would look good planted in a tall, narrow metal bucket.

5 comments:

Sigruns German Garden said...

He Karen, was you that with the broken sign at the street?? ;-)

Sigrun

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was just scrolling through your garden blog, and the photos are just beautiful. I especially liked your photos from "foggy morning" in your back yard. What a gorgeous scene!
I have a garden photo link on my site, but I haven't been able to work in the yard this year, so it has become neglected. With fall coming, that just might change! LOL.
Great photos here, Karen. :)

Philosophical Karen said...

Sigrun, no it definitely was not me! ;-)

Laura, thank you for your visit and your compliments.

BSTS, since I will be keeping this blog going through the winter, I thought I would start adding more information about myself. (You will probably see a lot of things you already know from my other blog.)

Kerri said...

That's a lovely garden and I see she's a photographer too.
When I was growing up in Australia, my parents owned a pet shop. We sold kangaroo meat for pets and had to have a sign proclaiming it 'Not suitable for human consumption'. It had a worm that was bad for humans. I wonder if they've been able to eradicate that.
We like to eat lamb, and have been able to get it locally (in bulk) until recently.
That's an expensive rabbit :)
Love the sign. I wonder if someone ran into it on purpose :)

Diana LaMarre said...

Did you see that I answered your bucket question? I was thinking that something rounded would be nice, like mums since the sap buckets are probably cone shaped. It would look like an ice cream cone!
I personally like a container with more space, so I might have grabbed that old washtub (if the price was right).