Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Visit to Doon Heritage Crossroads

Doon Heritage Crossroads is a living museum of rural life from the 1914 era, just as electricity and telephones were being introduced more widely, and cars were beginning to replace horses as transportation.

On Sunday we visited this place for the 1914 Fall Fair event. Although I could talk about the historical gardens and heritage seed preservation, really I'm just going to show you a few pictures of the place. Hope you enjoy them.

Carpet Weaver (Looks More "Historic" in Sepia Tone)

Contemplative Carpet Weaver

The Martin Homestead

Martin Homestead

Quilt Room in the Martin Homestead

Quilt Room

Learning Crokinole

Learning Crokinole

The game of crokinole has a strong history in the area. You can read more about it here.

Shiny Bedroom in the Martin Homestead

Shiny Room in the Martin Homestead

Indoor Toilets

Indoor Outhouse

Potty

These people were very well off. They didn't have to "go" outdoors.

The Blacksmith

The Blacksmith Shop

More pictures from the Blacksmith Shop are located here.

The Most Delicious Corn on the Cob

The Most Delicious Corn on the Planet

A Helper at the 1914 Fall Fair

A Helper at the 1914 Fall Fair

Rural Life

Rural Life

Stiltwalking

Stiltwalking
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and must include that attribution plus the caption "Doon Heritage Crossroads, Region of Waterloo, Kitchener".

It is perhaps little known that the city of Kitchener used to be called Berlin. The following is excerpted from the City of Kitchener's web site:
On June 9, 1912, Berlin officially became a City and was considered to be Canada's German Capital. However, with the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 came anti-German sentiment and an internal conflict ensued as the City was forced to confront its cultural distinctiveness. There was pressure for the City to change its name from Berlin, and in 1916 following much debate and controversy, the name of the City was changed to Kitchener, after the British General Horatio Herbert Kitchener who won fame during the Boer War.

8 comments:

Alison said...

Places like this are wonderful spots to go and visit.

Our family loves crokinole and we play it often, and Hud made Daniel a pair of stilts when we lived in the valley. They hauled them out of the shed just the other day much to the enjoyment of the neighborhood kids!

Diana LaMarre said...

Interesting place to visit, but I am happy to be living in 2006.

Who could sleep in that tiny bed?

Philosophical Karen said...

Zoey, now that I look at it more closely, I'm probably wrong calling it a bedroom. I think that's a fainting couch rather than a bed. It's probably not a place that anyone regularly slept in.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos. I love living museums like that. We have a few in our area. It's fascinating to see people reenacting those times.

Anita said...

I like that architecture, those red houses and especially the quilt room. Do you know how to quilt? I would like to try when it's to cold outside for gardening ;-)

MariaJ said...

Thanks for the museum tour Karen. I've been in Kitchener, some of my relatives live there. (Maybe I told you that before) That boardgame looks interesting. Have you played it a lot? Oh. I wanted to add new post on my blog but its not working...grrrrr. I can only leave comments on others blogs.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting museum tour Karen, thanks for that! I didn't know about Berlin/Kitchener! Is that the reason you speak some German, because you live in a part of Canada where lots of Germans have imigrated to?

Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos, as always. I love the "shiny room" too--the green walls are about the same color as the walls in my kitchen, and my ceiling is about the color of the window shades.