Friday, September 08, 2006

Hosta, Heuchera, and Hemerocallis

This year, my 'Edge of Darkness' daylily (which looks identical to my 'Always Afternoon' daylily) decided to live up to its billing as a rebloomer.

'Edge of Darkness' Bloomed Today!

Edge of Darkness Rebloom
Although hostas are not my "thing" the way daylilies are, I do have a few different ones. They are just there. In other words, I don't keep much track of them...except for one. A very special one I got last year called 'Red October'. I got it because of the name, because I really like that movie, The Hunt for Red October (and the book by Tom Clancy).

Hosta 'Red October'

Red October
As you can see, it has red stems, and last year it happily bloomed into October, which, here in zone 5 (some years zone 6, although I know it doesn't work like that) is sort of unusual and worth remarking.

And finally, my 'Hollywood' heuchera has a tiny stalk of new flowers.

'Hollywood' Heuchera

Hollywood Heuchera
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

5 comments:

Sigruns German Garden said...

Hi Karen, I like your photos. And this Hosta I have new since some weeks, in a pot. Next year I would like to have a stair from wood for my smaler hostas, that I can better see the red stems.

Sigrun

Alison said...

I love seeing all of the surprise blooms this time of year. I spent yesturday cleaning out the back gardens and was pleased to see a good bit of fresh growth!

Pamela said...

Breathtaking pics Karen, you are really talented. Love the Daylilies!

MariaJ said...

Those red stems (red october) are really interesting. Havent seen this hosta before.

Tina said...

I have a daylily like this that I received from a friend. I was told it was a boring "stella de oro" and was pleasantly surprised when it bloomed quite differently than expected. Now I know what to call it!