Friday, October 06, 2006

Turtleheads

I've never in my life before seen this plant.

Well, not live anyway. I had seen a photo on Alison's garden blog and sort of tucked it away in the back of my mind. You can't really forget a name like 'Turtlehead' when you see it.

I mentioned that when I got my freecycled plants, there was a pretty flower that I didn't recognize. I didn't post a photo, but here is one now.

Turtleheads
Photo belongs to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

While looking in the Canning Perennials catalogue I somehow ran across a picture of the plant Chelone lyonii 'Hot Lips'.

I was originally looking for another plant, Euphorbia marginata 'Snow on the Mountain'. I found out that Canning doesn't have that one. But that's all right, because I've decided that I like Euphorbia polychroma 'First Blush', another euphorbia they do have.

Don't ask me how I got from 'E' to 'C'! It's a plant catalogue. Any section is fair game, even if I'm looking for something specific. In this case I was also lucky enough to answer a nagging question. It's so much fun to browse, isn't it?

11 comments:

Anita said...

Turtleheads? What a funny name for such a pretty plant! Indeed, it looks like the mouth of a turtle... Hope you have a relaxing weekend. Unfortunately, it's quite cold and rainy over here today.

Alison said...

I have that....I thought I had posted a pic on my blog.

It grows really well and since I planted mine this spring, it has gotten to be about four times the size. it seems to bloom for a long time too which is nice this time of year!

MariaJ said...

I'd like to have that too. I havent find it yet although its not so rare in finnish gardens anymore.

Philosophical Karen said...

Anita, we are set to finally get some sun this weekend.

Alison, I know I remembered the name 'Turtleheads' from somewhere when I saw it. It must have been your blog!

Maria, it really is a pretty pink. I think it would go well in your garden.

Pamela said...

Nice that your browsing excursion was so rewarding...lol What a beautiful flower! :)

Lis vom Lindenhof said...

The name of the flower ist "Chelone", I have it too

David (Snappy) said...

Thats a pretty flower, the turtlehead.I love catalogues going from page to page.making marks, going back later.making lists of what you would like...

EAL said...

I've been growing those for a few years. They're reasonably attractive, but the likability factor increases when you consider their tolerance for shade and their coming later in the season.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen that before. interesting. I learn all the time :-)

I want to invite you to participate in our Green Thumb Sunday blogroll. It's for gardeners or gardener wanna be's, house plant enthusiasts, and nature lovers.

All you need to do to participate is to post a picture on Sundays (at least once a month) of a plant in your yard or that you are growing, happened to see somewhere, a landscape or nature scene.

And to put up the (blogroll) links to the other participants, not so many yet, on your blogs sidebar.

Sounds easy doesn't it?

Come on, it's a lot of fun and we're gonna LOVE your GTS posts :-)

We would be thrilled to have you with us!

You can have a look at one of my GTS posts here:
http://lifecruiser.com/swedish/2006/10/08/to-make-butterfly-love/
(no need to write that much if you dont want to ;-)

If you want to join, just follow the link "Join GTS" :-)

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Kerri said...

I love finding out about new flowers. I like the sound of this one (turtlehead) and love the color. I've heard of it but had forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me!
Both the Euphorbias look pretty. I might try to find one of those too. Nice fillers.
I remember Zoey talked about how invasive her spurge was and pulled it all out earlier in the season.
I guess you'd have to keep on top of it.
Great catalogue.

Philosophical Karen said...

Thanks for reminding me of that consideration, Kerri. The 'First Blush' is said to be a compact mounding form. I hope that would mean it's less invasive? Hmm.