Thursday, October 12, 2006

One Leaf, Two Poems


l(a
le
af
fa

ll

s)
one
l

iness

~ e. e. cummings


Please come to visit,
for I am lonely. One leaf
falls from the kiri.

~ Basho


A Leaf Falls

5 comments:

Alison said...

Is there supposed to be one above the leaf one? I have a rather interesting jumble by e.e.cummings.... and no picture. I love the second on....

Philosophical Karen said...

This post consists of two poems and one photo.

Cummings is known for his "concrete" poetry, in which the visual arrangement of words or letters has meaning in itself. (The strange appearance of the words in the first poem is intentional.)

There's an academic analysis (not too difficult to understand) here.

Unknown said...

beautiful... and I love that you included the cummings poetry (says the girl who used to have the "you and i are not mostpeople" essay memorized). :)

Alison said...

When I looked at the e.e. cummings one again this morning I saw it right away. Stunned I am....

Kerri said...

Really lovely and rather poignant. Thanks for sharing this.