Monday, October 23, 2006

Mellow Yellow


Climbing Hydrangea
Originally uploaded by Philosophical Karen.

The whole garden, it seems, is turning yellow. The climbing hydrangea is particularly striking against the drab fence. I will post more "mellow yellow" photos later. I just wanted to get this one up quickly.

9 comments:

Alison said...

Fabulous colour!!! Mine is still green as are my hostas. The hostas in everyone elses gardens seem to be yellow but mine are hding on.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I was just admiring one of these in my neighbor's yard. Do you know which of the two kinds of "climbing hydrangea" that is? I might want to add one to my garden, and if I do then I definitely want one that turns that color in the autumn!

Anita said...

Interesting, I have a very small climbing hydrangea as well but I did not yet check its current colour yet.

I just had a look at the latest photos of your side show and admired your woodpecker! Did MariaJ already see this photo ;-)) And where did you find that armee of pandas? :-))

I love the days when natures changes its dress from green to red and yellow and I am looking forward to going on a kind of "leaf-photo-safari" in our garden.

Annie in Austin said...

I, too, love your climbing hydrangea against the fence. Did you know it would be gold when you planted it or was the color a pleasant surprise?

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Philosophical Karen said...

My label for this plant says in small type "Hydrangea anomala petolaris" and in larger type "Hortensia trepadora". I hope that is enough information for anyone who wants to get the same kind. The leaves are a glossy dark green throughout the summer, and just recently turned bright yellow. I don't remember seeing this before (but that doesn't mean it didn't happen).

Kerri said...

This plant is new to me. Now I'm really curious about the flowers. It is a pretty color against the fence.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Karen! The other one is "Schizophragma hydrangeoides" (Japanese hydrangea vine) and they're supposed to be very similar. I have been playing on google, though--I had to use google to figure out how to correctly spell the Latin name, I admit!--and none of the pages mentions the fall color of the JHV. So I wonder if it's not as pretty as yours?

Philosophical Karen said...

Kerri, the flowers I get on the climbing hydrangea are not that showy; little white clumps here and there that don't all open at the same time. But the glossy green summer foliage, the autumn yellow colour you see here, and the peeling bark in winter is what provides interest. (This plant has been in my garden only 3 years, and apparently it takes time to get flowers worth seeing.)


BSG, this article mentions that S. hydrangioides has a soft yellow fall colour:

http://www.greenbeam.com/features/plant101501.stm

Unknown said...

Ooh... good find, Karen. Thanks for the link!