Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Downy Woodpecker

I've never been able to capture a hummingbird, though I've seen many. However, this is more exciting to me, because it's the first downy woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) who has visited our yard and I managed to get a photo.

I am seeing a slightly wider variety of birds visiting our yard than the past few years. Maybe our trees are finally inviting enough to attract more visitors.

Downy Woodpecker on the Birdfeeder

Woodpecker
Photo belongs to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

According to the poster sent to me by the Canadian Wildlife Federation:

"A good snag (standing dead tree) or large mature trees are the best ways to attract downy woodpeckers, which will hunt for insects up and down their trunks. However, these birds will also partake of some fruit, nuts, and seeds."

8 comments:

MariaJ said...

Oh what a good subject and a great pick. I took ALSO a photo of our woodpecker two weeks ago. We have one dead tree in the woods and I wonder are there any worms left cause this knocking has lasted two years....I tried to take a photo but didnt manage very well cause this bird was knocking so so high. Your bird looks very young one than I have seen here maybe yours isnt adult yet...?
I have also a wooden becker, yes, a copy of a real one. Its funny that most of the people think its real. Have to show you a photo someday.

David (Snappy) said...

Great pic.Sadly i have not seen many birds in my garden lately.I wander if the cats are scaring them off.I will google making more bird friendly garden.I have three feeders, two on a post, and a birdbath/feeder.Maybe they come early when im asleep..

Diana LaMarre said...

Congrats on getting a photo of your first woodpecker. They are fun to watch, aren't
they?
I usually have them around all the time, but I just realized that I have not seen them much this summer. I wonder why.

Lisa said...

I love woodpeckers. Great picture!

Kerri said...

karen, do you put out suet? They love that! They'll also eat sunflower seed.
Great picture. He's a cutey. Like Zoey's ours haven't been around much this summer either, but there's been one coming to the suet cage lately. I took pics and will post one soon. This guy let me walk up fairy close to him.
We've haven't seen many hummers at the feeders this year...ever since the floods we had in June and July. Hardly any other birds either. Very unusual.

Unknown said...

Wonderful picture! He's so cute, and does indeed look soft and "downy." I've never seen a downy woodpecker before, but have seen a redheaded woodpecker in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. He likes to hang out along the part of the towpath trail that I often walk at lunch (I work nearby).

Sigruns German Garden said...

He he, Karen, new template again?

Your Woodpacker is funny, we also have some, but I do not see them.

Sigrun

Boxwood Cottage said...

Yeah sure the woodpecker (and all other birds too) loves gardens with trees! Seeing your trees have grown they have sure attract him, but so funny that he chose the bird feeder to pick on lol