Friday, July 24, 2009

New Blooms and a Mystery Solved

And still they keep on coming...

The last white daylily to bloom this year is Joan Senior. This one is always late in my garden, but other people's bloom earlier.

Joan Senior

'Joan Senior' First Bloom 24/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Another seedling plant, this one in its second year of blooming, had a flower today. I call this one Offspring. (It sounds better than "seedling number one".)

First Seedling

My Seedling, First Bloom 24/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

This next one is Light Years Away from all the others. (Okay, that was bad.) When it looks good, it's beautiful. When it isn't at its best, it looks like a fried wonton. Luckily this is a good one.

Light Years Away

'Light Years Away' First Bloom 24/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Another first bloom today was Bonanza.

Bonanza

'Bonanza' First Bloom 24/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Well, here is one mystery solved. In an earlier post I said I had a label but no planting location for South Seas. Well, now I know that I planted it in the new daylily bed, because it bloomed there today.

South Seas

'South Seas' First Bloom 24/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

That means that my Unknown daylily from a few days ago is not South Seas but True Blue Heart. Unfortunately, my soil has really done a number on the colouring. Check out the plant I bought.

True Blue Heart

Daylily 'True Blue Heart'
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

The shape of the flower and the fact that it has patterning on the sepals, however, mean that this is still a lovely daylily. (The name just doesn't quite match this version, since the "blue" has turned to raspberry pink.)
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

No comments: