Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Beasts and the Beauties

Well, I skipped posting yesterday because both the flowers and the photos were nothing special.

I used my regular 18-55 zoom lens instead of the prime f1.7, and on top of that the bright sunlight was very strong. So the photos are quite ordinary. Also, my daylily 'Root Beer', which I purchased from Floral and Hardy Gardens to add to my collection of dark daylilies, has turned out to be a weak and sickly plant. These are the two flowers it gave me yesterday, on a scape barely four inches tall! Quite a disappointment, unfortunately.

'Root Beer', Weak and Sickly
(Photo taken July 13)

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved


Another unremarkable first bloom yesterday is a daylily I call 'Cassadiana' (because that's what was on the label). At least this one has a tall scape. However, I think it looks just like a reddish "ditch lily". There's nothing wrong with it. It's just not one of my favourites because it didn't turn into the daylily I thought I bought.

Cassadiana
(Photo Taken July 13)

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved


THE BEAUTIES

Today, however, is a completely different story. For one thing, I remembered to use the right lens.

There are several first blooms worth noting, and the repeat bloomers are starting to fill in the garden. Mid-July is of course one of the best times for daylilies. (Although, my new daylily bed in the backyard is purposely full of late bloomers, so its show will be starting at the end of July into the beginning of August.) Here is a photo of daylilies in the front garden today.

Daylilies in the Front Garden

Front Garden Daylilies
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved


Bela Lugosi bloomed for the first time today, with two flowers on display.

Bela Lugosi I

'Bela Lugosi' First Bloom 14/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Bela Lugosi II

Bela Lugosi, Second of Two New Blooms Today
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I am showing both flowers because the second one has an extra petal tucked in behind the others, which you should be able to see in the photo.

Still in the front garden, a lovely first bloom from 'Persian Ruby'.

Persian Ruby

'Persian Ruby' First Bloom 14/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

While in the side garden by the chain link fence we have an incredible three flowers on 'Chicago Atlas', which is also blooming for the first time today.

Chicago Atlas

'Chicago Atlas' First Bloom(s) 14/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

And finally, my bumblebee experiments from previous years are paying off again today. A first bloom on one of the seedlings that is still growing in a pot. That it survived and bloomed is the triumph here. I think the flower itself is sort of blah.

Seedling Experiment

Seedling, First Bloom 14/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

That's it for now. Stay tuned to this blog for all your 2009 Daylily Season coverage.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Beautiful, simply beautiful!

Alison said...

Loving it all!!!

Jane O' said...

Thanks for stopping by, Karen. It's nice to be missed.
Chicago Atlas is a gorgeous color. So sorry Rootbeer is having problems today. I'm sure the next bloom will be great. It is one that I have on my list!