Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ka-BOOM!

Well, in some circles it's Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. I don't usually participate, but boy do I have a lot of blooms in my garden today. This won't be a text-heavy post, because there are a lot of photos to display, and I spent the evening watching Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in the theatre tonight. But I digress...

First, here are the first blooms so that I have a journal record of them.

Justin Miller

'Justin Miller' First Bloom 15/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Siloam Plum Tree

'Siloam Plum Tree' First Bloom 15/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Luxury Lace

'Luxury Lace' First Bloom 15/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Naomi Ruth
(a miniature version)

'Naomi Ruth' (miniature sport) First Bloom 15/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Strawberry Candy

'Strawberry Candy' First Bloom 15/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

American Revolution

'American Revolution' First Bloom 15/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Wayside King Royale

Wayside King Royale Single Flower
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Unknown

'Unknown Daylily' First Bloom 15/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Based on my notes, the unknown flower could be 'South Seas' (for which I have a label, but no planting location recorded). However, most versions of 'South Seas' are a lot more orange than this. So I'm not sure how likely that is. Another possibility is that this is my 'True Blue Heart' daylily, only the growing conditions have turned it yellowy, so that the cream is orangeish and the lavender is mauve. The shape of the flower is correct for that scenario. It's a terrible colour shift though, if that is what happened.

Now here are some other notable photos from around the garden.

Polytepalous 'Raspberry Swirl'

Polytepalous Raspberry Swirl
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Actual 'Wayside King Royale' Plant -- Six First Blooms Today

'Wayside King Royale' First Blooms 15/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

A Couple of Beautiful 'Dad's Best White'

Dad's Best White
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Five 'Grecian Gown' Today

Grecian Gown Five Flowers Today
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

All American Plum

All American Plum
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I desaturated the red in the photo to try to get an approximation of the actual colour as seen in the garden, instead of the colour the camera captures (which is always too red). This one beats 'American Revolution' for dark colour this year, though they are both lovely dark daylilies.

Somewhere among my later blooming daylilies I have one called 'Africa' which I am anxious to compare the others to. It would seem that the dark daylilies come up darker in wet years rather than dry ones, but that is only anecdotal based on a couple of years of experience. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Oh, and finally, my seedling gave me a second flower today. I am liking this one much better than the last. It has a delicate watermark, a bit of a ruffle to the petals, and white midribs to make the flower more interesting, even if the colour could still use a bit more "pop".

Seedling Second Flower

Second Flower for Seedling
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

Basil Becky said...

I love seeing the daylillies with names. For years I have just bought the ones I liked. But I did not label them...thanks for helping
me identify some of them.

Philosophical Karen said...

NOTE: 'South Seas' just bloomed in the backyard daylily bed (so that's where I planted it!), therefore I have come to the conclusion that the Unknown daylily is my 'True Blue Heart', that has somehow changed colour due to my soil conditions. Or something. It's supposed to have cream petals with a lavender-blue coloured eye. And it did -- last year.