So, now that mid-season is in full swing, what does the bed look like? Here is a photo taken today.
Daylily Bed

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Right now most of the daylilies seem to be oriented towards the fence, which is unfortunate. I don't know if there is a way to predict at planting time what direction the flowers are likely to face, but if anyone knows of one, please tell me!
When I was taking photos of today's first blooms (of which there are three), I came across this snail nestled in a spent daylily. Since I had the macro lens on the camera, I thought I'd go in for a closer look.
Snail on Spent Daylily

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
And speaking of creatures on flowers (well, I was, sort of, wasn't I?)...One of the first blooms, Peach Magnolia was quite a comfortable resting spot for this bee.
Peach Magnolia with Bee

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Again with the macro lens I was able to go in for a closer look. (By the way, Peach Magnolia is a very attractive and reliable double daylily.)
Bee Macro

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
And while we're on the subject of double daylilies, I should mention that Highland Lord is a double that is not so reliable. It's attractive in its own right, but without the double petals on the flowers, they are merely ordinary. This photo was taken after a rain shower, so the water has bleached out the colour in spots.
Highland Lord

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Another rather ordinary first bloom today was Black-Eyed Susan. I find this one boring as daylilies go. I tried to resist acquiring it based on that assessment, but in the end it was yet another daylily that was available to add to my collection, so I did. Hey, I don't have a problem. I can quit buying daylilies anytime I want to...
Black-Eyed Susan

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment