Saturday, July 18, 2009

Another Big Day for Daylilies

Several new first blooms today. We are getting towards mid to late season, so a whole new cohort is coming up.

Nile Crane had two first blooms today. One nice, one awful. I took a photo of the nicer one of the two.

Nile Crane

'Nile Crane' First Bloom 18/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I am so pleased that Flore-Pleno -- a daylily I got from a friend's garden (actually her driveway, literally a corner where the asphalt was breaking down) -- is blooming this year. As you can see, I won't get many flowers because a lot of the buds are shrivelled and dying. But I will take the few blooms that I get. The plant did not bloom at all last year.

For more information on this daylily, see this post.

Flore-Pleno

'Flore-Pleno' First Bloom 17/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

A new acquisition last year, planted in the bed dedicated to daylilies, Lucky Catch is to me a fascinating daylily. I can't quite tell if it's reddish-pink, or pinkish-red. What I'm trying to say is that the colour is so close to the cusp between pink and red that it's difficult to say on which side of the line it falls.

Lucky Catch

'Lucky Catch' First Bloom 17/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Another one from the same bed, also new last year, is Strutter's Ball.

Strutter's Ball

'Strutter's Ball' First Bloom 17/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

If you guessed that I like this one because it's dark purple, you'd be right.

Now, I didn't get a very good photo of this next daylily because it was waiting for the afternoon to open up, and I took my photo in the morning. But you can certainly get an idea that this is a near-white daylily -- about as close to white as I've ever seen -- once it opens up wide and proud. It's called Ice Carnival.

Ice Carnival

Ice Carnival First Bloom 17/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

And here is one you haven't seen, even though it's the second bloom for this plant this year. I couldn't photograph the first one because it was really UGLY. I happen to think this is a very beautiful daylily, so it's worth keeping, even though it has a fair percentage of deformed flowers.

Destined to See

'Destined To See' Second Bloom
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Well, that's it for new daylilies today. Hope you all are having a great weekend!
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I am really enjoying your daylily photos and I'm impressed that you know all the names too. I look forward to seeing which blooms you have that I may as well. Thanks again!

Philosophical Karen said...

Well, it helps if I get the names right. I have to go back and edit this post because I got some of the names wrong.