Wednesday, July 08, 2009

It's Starting...

Well, I had a feeling I'd see some first blooms today, and I was right!

And today's are all pretty nice ones, too. It isn't always that way, as my previous years' posts will show.

That's where the journal aspect of this blog is useful: for comparison. I just open up "July" for each of the previous years, and take a look at the blooming dates for the various daylilies. Sometimes they are exactly the same, and sometimes there is as much as a week's difference either way.

Of course, 2005-2007 were dry years -- to the point of drought -- while the last two summers have been very wet. I can add water to a dry garden, but the difference in the amount of sunlight is something that I can't change. So those are things that might have an effect on the blooming dates.

Well, without further delay, here are the daylilies that have their first blooms today.

Moonlit Masquerade

Daylily 'Moonlit Masquerade' First Bloom 08/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Russian Rhapsody

Daylily 'Russian Rhapsody' First Bloom 08/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

All American Plum

Daylily 'All American Plum' First Bloom 08/07/09
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Now, I do have another daylily that is trying to open, but hasn't really succeeded. This is 'Grecian Gown', a lovely light lemon-yellow self with a slight white midrib and lots of ruffles. You can see it in its glory here.

Grecian Gown

'Grecian Gown' Trying to Bloom
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

So according to 2007's bloom date, this is four day's earlier. But then again, maybe I should say three, because I don't think these buds will be fully open until tomorrow.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

No comments: