Thursday, April 27, 2006

It Isn't Pretty

Frost damage isn't pretty. Case in point:

Frost-Damaged Magnolia Flower

Or this:

Magnolia Flower with Frost Damage

The worst though, is the realization that some buds, like the one on the left, were damaged probably beyond hope:

Frost-Damaged Magnolia Buds

Less worrisome is a bit of browning and shrivelling on the snapdragons. It is unwise to plant annuals in Ontario before May, but I -- knowingly -- did anyway.

Frost-Shrivelled Snapdragons

And now, some flowers that weren't affected by frost. I took a closeup of those Breck's hybrid daffodils under the elm:

Two Breck's Hybrid Daffodils

And the pretty pasque flower that has turned out better than I ever could have imagined. It's got about eight blooms on it right now, but I only photographed this one:

Pasque Flower

3 comments:

Alison said...

Hopefully the frost will stay at bay now and things can bloom to their hearts content!

Anonymous said...

I don't like to see the frost damage. It has gotten very cold in some of the 'cold climates'. We had a very cold morning or two this week, dropped to 32 degrees. May that be the last spring frost of '06! I love that pasque flower!

karlthebunny said...

You have a beautiful garden!
I have often visualized a garden for my house, but until this last fall I hadn't done anything.

I put in some edging and top soil and sowed Texas Wild Flower seeds.
I have wanted a wild flower garden for years.

They have been coming up for about 5 weeks now. Half of the fun is waiting to see what the little seedlings will become.

I also love the transient, fleeting nature of flowers.

We don't worry too much about frost down here. Your flowers are still beautiful.