Almost everything currently in the garden is hardy enough not to be affected. Almost. I had been overjoyed that the magnolia was blooming early, but worried about just this possibility. Sure enough, the flowers that were furthest on their way towards opening have turned brown and will probably not be very pretty when they open now. Luckily most of the buds are unaffected.
Some of the snapdragons are looking "browned off" about the cold night too. Oh well, I am not too concerned since they were just a bit of temporary colour for the bottom of the front garden till the tulips bloom anyway.

The daffodils are doing fine, but it makes me glad I brought the Replete ones inside, since they had been unable to support themselves and the flowers were lying on the ground.

I said I'd show some pictures of the Replete daffodils once I'd arranged them in a vase, and I now have pictures worth posting. Here is the full arrangement.

6 comments:
I envy the person who got to name flowers: such delightful names as snapdragons, lady's slipper, buttercups, hollyhocks, daffodils... and on and on. I wonder what repletes mean. I really know nothing about gardening though I enjoy both gardens and wild flowers immensely. I've afraid God forgot to stick a green thumb on me when I was born.
Perhaps we had frost too. We did a couple of days ago. I have not yet purchased any annuals for my window box or planters....
Rachel, I know what you mean. I keep wondering about 'Replete' as well. Perhaps because it's so full?
Alison, it's still a little early for annuals here (none of the seasonal garden centres are open yet). I am starting to see pansies all over the place now though, which is nice. I love pansies.
replete means abundantly supplied....
Thanks for letting me know what replete means... a great meaning!
I'm an old man, recently retired. A poet with an MFA to prove it, but I worked mostly as a machinist off and on most of my life. My wife is still working and will be working for some time. Just before I retired, I began flower gardening around my house, hoping for that to fill my time, but such a trial it is. I must learn patience. I get frustrated when things die and I can't tell one cause from another. Anyhow, I just finished running down your page and enjoyed the pictures immensely. Perhaps I'll begin taking pictures myself. What kind of camera are you using? I've got an HP that was a gift from the company I retired from. Anyhow, thanks for the pictures.
Post a Comment