Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Hiatus is OVER!

Gardening Blog 2006 has begun.

I don't have anything exciting to post today. Tomorrow I'm hoping to take pictures of daffodil and tulip leaves and other plants with new growth. Nothing overly exciting yet, but it's a start.

Anyway I've got some ideas of what to blog about until the blooms are showing. I want to talk about composting, and today I will post some pictures of gardens past.


Gardens Past

My first garden flourished on top of a cheap IKEA bookshelf we had set up in the corner of our "den". We were renting a one-bedroom-plus-den apartment in a brand new highrise. It was located in the business core of a major Ontario city that prides itself in being "not Toronto".

My First Garden

Right now we have a low-maintenance woodland garden, but the first house we bought I had quite a beautiful, colourful border. These pictures were taken in June 1997, when we had been in the house for almost five years.





Border Garden 1

Border Garden 2

The very sad thing is that when we sold the house a couple of years later, the new owners demolished most of the border, and what was left became a home for garden gnomes. They also painted the garage blue, instead of the beautiful oxblood colour that I had originally chosen from the builder.

1 comment:

Sariah said...

I can't wait to see pictures of your garden. I love what you did with your first house. I've been thinking a lot lately that I can't wait to get a house and try my hand at gardening. I just want lots and lots of pretty flowers. It always looks and smells amazing in other people's yards.

I think that IS a very sad thing about what the new owners did. Garden Gnomes? Sheesh. Obviously NOT kindred spirits of any kind.