Sunday, April 23, 2006

April Showers

We got a bit of a break in the rain yesterday. Not long, but long enough to set up a couple of rainbarrels. Since these two were put out yesterday, they have completely filled up. I am happy to say that we managed to create a two-and-two setup for the rainbarrels, which will make rainwater management much easier this summer. (We could not set up the other two right away because we were lacking the necessary elbow piece for the metal drainpipe.)

Rainbarrels April 2006


These April showers are bringing out the colour in the spring garden. This view distorts perspective and makes the yard look smaller than it is. But it's nice in that it gives an overall view of the mosaic effect. I know standard garden design rules say to plant in drifts to avoid the "pointillist" look, but I have always loved pointillism as an art form, so I don't mind using it in my garden. (That might just be my excuse for not being able to achieve that lovely cottage garden feel of perfectly placed clumps of beautiful blooms.)

Wet Garden in April


Here is a combination of complementary colours that works out nicely for spring: a clump of purplish-blue hyacinths behind a "Saybrook gold" juniper. After insisting for years that I wanted to avoid evergreens at all costs, I suddenly had an epiphany after seeing all the different colours, shapes, and textures available. Now I guess I have gone completely overboard the other way.

Yellow and Purple


Remember the photo of the elm garden from a few days ago? Taken in full sun and overall, very brown looking with some spots of colour? Well I have to say that a bit of rain can work wonders. Today's picture looks so much better.

Camperdown Elm Spring Garden

1 comment:

Alison said...

I can't get over the fact you have leaves on your trees!!!!