
Oh, I've got 'Amber Waves', 'Creme Brulee', 'Marmalade', 'Obsidian' -- all the latest. (Along with a whole host of less-celebrated ones.) I'd have 'Lime Rickey' but it was fussy and didn't survive. Chartreuse heucheras and any kind of heucherellas (a cross between heuchera and tiarella) are not made for my garden. If a plant won't survive being left on its own, then I don't want it.
The rest of my purchases look like this:

Lots of steppables (mostly stonecrop and woolly thyme). A new (to me) variety of periwinkle. A dwarf pincushion flower, dwarf and regular irises, a weigela.
There's a story behind my purchase of a weigela today. I've been keeping an eye on an existing one in the back by the maple, certain that it did not survive the winter. It's been looking all dried out, with nothing but brown shrivelled buds. So when I looked at the weigelas at the nursery and they were starting to get leaves already, I figured I'd better buy one of those to replace it. Looking at mine this afternoon, though, those brown shrivelled buds are finally showing some green.

I've got a nice spot in the front garden that needs a weigela, though. It used to be occupied by flowering quince.
And speaking of buds, it's interesting that not only the magnolia is early this year. I have a photo showing the elm in early May last year with bare branches and no flowering buds:

The same display on April 23, 2006:

6 comments:
I am sooo envious! I have yet to hit the garden centers...I'll get there soon.
I am diffently a gotta have gardener. So much so I'm running out of room. If that is a Angelina sedum, you are going to love it. All the nurseries and garden centers where I live rub their hand together when I come too. People actually pay me to take them shopping for plants. Ahh...life is good.
It is an Angelina sedum. I am hoping it lives up to its promise of thriving in poor dry soil, because I planted it in the poorest, driest soil I have.
Hmm...that's interesting. Thanks for dropping by.
BSTS, in my experience with the brick patio, "moss happens". I didn't do a thing. That area is in shade most of the day, so I think the moss just likes it there between the stones.
I like the mossy look too.
Post a Comment