Thursday, May 17, 2007

Iris Eyes are Smiling

 
(Ooh, the title is bad and I apologize for that.)

The tulips in my garden are at their peak, and now it's time for the irises.

'Cherry Garden' Iris

Dark Irises

I'm getting loads of dark irises this year. Don't think I'm complaining though. I'm pleased that they have done so well. And back again this year, with a first bloom four days later than last year, is my small and delicate dwarf bearded iris 'Grape Orbit'.

'Grape Orbit' Dwarf Bearded Iris

'Grape Orbit' Dwarf Iris

I also have some yellow irises around and about. I'm not sure where they came from, but I remember buying some unmarked irises for a dollar during a big garden centre sell-off a few years ago, so the yellow ones are probably what I bought then. You can see one that is about to bloom near the bird bath.

Irises Near the Bird Bath

Bird Bath

And in other exciting news (well, exciting is a relative term, but maybe it's exciting to other hardy geranium lovers), 'Johnson's Blue' just got its first bloom.

First Bloom for 'Johnson's Blue' Hardy Geranium

'Johnson's Blue' Hardy Geranium

Oh, and I found the greatest 10-inch basket at a local garden centre. You know the 10-inch basket? That saviour of the gardener's pocketbook, a source of cheap and cheerful filler material? Well I found one that was chock full of happy, healthy, hybrid double petunias. The only one, I might add.

My Big Find: A 10-Inch Basket With Double Petunias

Basket with Double Petunias

The last thing I want to show you is some beautiful foliage that is coming into play right now, particularly these geraniums (pelargonium) that I bought for their variegated foliage. (I haven't quite got around to potting them up yet.)

Variegated Foliage on (Pelargonium) Geraniums

Fancy Foliage

My 'Mardi Gras' heuchera took a beating, so it's not the beautiful huge plant it was when I bought it last year, but at least it came back. And it still looks good.

'Mardi Gras' Heuchera

'Mardi Gras' Heuchera

And here is another little heuchera, a solid performer from my heuchera garden under the maple. It's probably 'Beauty Colour', but it could be 'Dale's Strain' or 'Green Spice'.

Heuchera (probably 'Beauty Colour')

Heuchera

Oh, and I inadvertently lied to Sigrun at Hillside Garden. She posted her 'Red October' hosta and I said mine was still in the ground. I should have known better. It was just overwhelmed by all the tulips and irises in the side bed. But it's there and I took a photo. Et voilà.

'Red October' Hosta

Red October

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

my irises are nowhere near what yours are doing, all i have at the moment is "greens" but i too took delight in stumbling across something yesterday! it does bring a smile to your face:)
bsts

Alison said...

My Irises are as Janes; just the greens. My tulips are still not open, but the colour is now showing so I shouldn't think it will be long now. My columbine is about to bloom, but everything else is just green. We now have yucky cold weather again so I expect things will slow down.

I also have a question. I really want a crimson king maple for the front yard in front of the livingroom window. As you know my yard is small, but others have large maples in theirs. Should I do it or will I regret it. Your opinion has solved my other dilemnas ands I was assuming it would this one too!

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Karen,
so nice to visit with you again. Your garden is looking good this spring.

Your irises are ahead of mine, too. But then, EVERYBODY's garden is ahead of mine. I have some big buds, but no bloom yet.

Looking forward to visiting again.

P.S. I loved those orange tulips!

Kerri said...

It's so nice to see you again Karen! Your garden is looking beautiful and those tulips are simply gorgeous. Lucky you to find another fringed tulip!
My irises are just budding.
I think the Johnson's blue flower is exciting :)

FO - 2 said...

Your Irises are beautiful. The white one looks a little bit shy. Waiting to unfold. ;)

The foliage of the Geraniums are nice. The variety. Decorative without the flowers. The smell og Geraniums reminds me of my grandmother... She had several of Geraniums in windows when i grew up.

I love your basket with double Petunia. That is one of my favourits. Thats why I named my web site "Surfinia". (:

Unknown said...

Karen, your garden pictures are gorgeous as always... I have never seen iris quite the color of those 'Cherry Garden' you have, but now I really want some so I'll have to keep an eye out! (Same for the 'Mardi Gras' heuchera, which would provide a good bridge between my 'Marmalade' and 'Peach Flambe' and the darker purples.)

I love how the little clumps of lamb's ears echo the form and colour of your boulders in the birdbath picture--you are so good at the composition part of garden design. I learn things from you every time I come here, too, and I appreciate it. :)