Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Containers And Mulch

Well, the Monday of the long weekend (Victoria Day in Canada) was a productive one in the garden. My husband, Mr. Wonderful, made it his project to put down the black mulch in the back garden beds. The front is not yet done, and we don't have the brown mulch for the slope yet, but still -- the beds look amazing. One thing about black mulch is that it makes the colours pop.

My Favourite Late Spring View

Black Mulch in the Back Garden

My job was (finally) putting together my container garden at the front of the house. This year my colour scheme for the containers seems to have been inspired by the coleus Stained Glassworks Needlepoint. That is dark purple, and variegated green, yellow, and ivory. I have also added hits of hot pink to play off against the dark purple foliage.

Strawberry-type Container

Strawberry-type Container

This planter contains:
  • sorrel (Rumex sanguineus)
  • ipomoea ('Blackie' and 'Chartreuse')
  • lamium (Lamium maculatum 'Anne Greenaway')
  • a hot pink geranium ('Caliente Lavender').
I am hoping this container will fill out nicely and stay beautiful until late September. The sorrel is an unknown, though, so I've no idea how it will mature.

In my plastic urn container this year (compare last year) I am building around an 'Obsidian' heuchera that I rescued from being swallowed by phlox in the front garden. It can stay in the pot for the summer and I will find another place to plant it in the fall.

Plastic Urn Container

Plastic Urn Container

This planter contains:
  • heuchera ('Obsidian')
  • ivy geranium ('White-Blizzard'), blooming
  • another geranium ('Freestyle Arctic Red')
  • coleus (I have grown it before but don't know the name)
  • periwinkle (Vinca minor 'Illumination')
  • petunias (yellow is 'Prism Sunshine', pink unlabelled).
The third container is not quite ready for prime time. The dark purple dahlia and pink geranium with variegated leaves have nothing but buds right now, and there is a balloon flower that blooms later in the season (July-August). So the only real show is from the coleus.

Third Container (Waiting for Blooms)



This planter contains:
  • dahlia ('Dahlietta Lauren')
  • coleus (Stained Glassworks 'Molten Lava' and 'Needlepoint')
  • balloon flower (Platycodon grandiflorus 'Fuji White')
  • periwinkle (Vinca minor 'Atropurpurea')
  • geranium (pink with variegated green and yellow/ivory leaves)
  • lamium (survivor from last year)
I also took shortcuts, buying premade planters, one with herbs and one colourful one as a bridge between the end of the daffodils and the beginning of the poppies.

Filling In (Front View from Driveway)

Colour Filler (Front View)

Filling In (Back View from Porch)

Colour Filler (Back View)

As well, for heuchera lovers I wanted to point out this one that I found, 'Mocha Mint'. Heuchera are finally being bred to have both leaves and flowers that are attractive. This one is another in the small (but growing) collection of those.

'Mocha Mint' Heuchera

'Mocha Mint' Heuchera

And finally, just for fun, my fancy brocade-leaf geraniums, now potted up for display.

Brocade-Leaf Geraniums

Brocade-Leaf Geraniums
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

we did our mulching this past weekend as well, but certainly not to the extent that mr. wonderful does and we use the red colour, for around the trees and lawn, and it does make the colour of the lawn jump out. i've still got to do a bit more planting, waiting to see what is coming up.

Anonymous said...

oops, that was me again, got kicked out of anon without my name
bsts

FO - 2 said...

All your pictures and flowers are lovely!
I like your bed of flowers in the first picture.
I can se that you are using exciting plants in your containers. I love the red leafs and the variety and the "play" of the totality.
It is good to know "Mister Wonderful". ;)

Anonymous said...

Your garden is really looking wonderful. I agree- that black mulch does make the plants pop. I haven't seen it in this area yet. I'll have to check again!

Unknown said...

Wonderful pictures and recipes... I am glad that you rescued that poor 'Obsidian' heuchera. :) I noticed that you have a few of the orange-y leaf ones as well. I'm trying 'Marmalade' and 'Peach Flambe' in my garden this year, and hopw that I figure out how to use them half as well as you have here!

Whyite said...

I like the black mulch and all the planters. They all look beautiful.

Diana LaMarre said...

Good morning, Karen,
I am loving all of your container combos. I see you have used annuals with perennials, too. It's nice to be able to just dig out the perennials and stick them in the garden for next year.

Your Lewisia blooms are quite pretty. I am not familiar with that plant.

The buddha guy looks great with his new skin coloring! It's amazing what a can of spray paint can do.

Looking forward to seeing all your containers as they mature through the season.

I'd give you one of my watering cans, but I'm afraid they all have holes in the bottom so they would be of no use to you. :)

Kerri said...

I've enjoyed seeing what you're putting in your containers. It'll be fun to see how everything works out together. I've only just started on my containers. There's SO much to do at the moment...I can't keep up! I haven't got time to go to work...but unfortunately, it's necessary to feed my "obsession" (gardening, that is) ;)
That top shot of your garden is wonderful!
Your buddha's new look is great!

Anonymous said...

I have just finished clearing up my garden after the winter and although the daffs are already up I am now deciding what plants and flowers I am going to plant now spring has arrived, I love the late view it is what I am trying to achieve in my garden.