Starbucks Grounds for Your Garden

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Here is a composting practice I have been employing the last couple of years: picking up used coffee grounds at the local Starbucks. Along with kitchen waste, they make a nice wet addition to the composter out back.
Compost Pot for Collecting Food Waste

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Kitchen Waste

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Some people don't put bread in theirs, but I put a little. Sandwich leftovers or pizza crusts every now and then. But mostly it's tea bags and fruit and vegetable discards -- the wet stuff. With the addition of the Starbucks coffee grounds, there is a whole load of wet stuff going into the composter today, which is good, because the last time I added to it, I put a layer of dry leaves on the top. (We now save a bag of leaves in the fall so we have "dry" or "brown" stuff to add to the compost when needed.)
The composter sits in its revered position by the shed out back, a relatively short walk from the patio door.
Backyard Composter

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
We don't actually do home composting in winter. Our city collects compostable waste in a special container, so I make the effort to separate some of the items and let the city pick it up in the winter time. They don't get much in the summer though. Just a bag of cat poop every couple of weeks. (I am not fanatical enough to separate all the paper, dryer lint, meat scraps and stuff like that. Only about half the people on my street use the green bin, so I figure I am already contributing a lot just by using it at all.)
But anyway, as I was saying, in the summer, we compost. Kitchen waste, coffee grounds, and dry leaves should be a good recipe for making compost fairly quickly. (I've not yet resorted to Compost Accelerator this year, but I may have to if I find things aren't breaking down quickly on their own.)
Coffee Grounds

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Plus Dry Leaves

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Equals a Recipe for Good Compost (I Hope)

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
I keep a handy tool for mixing and chopping nearby. I find I use it a lot to spread the waste around or chop up the bruised and mushy fruit that sometimes gets sent out in the compost pot whole.
Handy Tool for Chopping and Mixing

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
That's right. It's a hoe. And with that, I will leave you.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
2 comments:
I would love some more postings on composting. We composted when I was a kid living in the country, so I have limited knowledge. I'd liek to know more. What outside composter is that?
like...like! typing too fast as usual
Post a Comment