Monday, May 17, 2010

Containers

Well, neither the weather nor the family schedule have been conducive to a lot of gardening, but I managed to get some of the containers done in the Sunday morning sunshine.

With my trusty gardening bag at my side, I got to work transferring the contents of hanging baskets into patio containers.

Gardening Bag (With New Gloves Ready to Be Used)

Gardening Bag
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I christened a pair of my new gloves and realized immediately why they might have been such a good price. I have small hands, so they fit me fine, but anyone with "normal" sized hands probably would have been out of luck trying to wear them. But they worked wonderfully for me in my attempts to plant the containers that will (hopefully) beautify my home for the summer of 2010.

Here is a picture of the first one done (on the right) with the next one waiting for 'Bourgogne' Pelargonium to be planted above the perennial lamium maculatum that lives permanently in that container. The planter on the right now contains some hot pink snapdragons, pale yellow violets, and purple alyssum.

Planting Containers

Just Starting (One Down...)
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

As you can see it was a very sunny day, which is great for the gardening but not so great for the photos, creating harsh shadows and blown highlights.

One thing to be aware of if you are like me and you buy hanging baskets to become container-stuffers: all baskets are not equal. Check this out.

Two "10-inch" Baskets

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

The one on the right (taupe) is from Home Depot, and the one on the left (white) is from Wal-Mart. What happens if you stack them?

Stacked Baskets

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

You will notice that the Wal-Mart "10-inch" basket is quite a bit smaller than the Home Depot "10-inch" basket. I guess at Wal-Mart they roll back more than prices.

Ah well, I got most of my containers planted. I still need to figure out what to do with the pansies, since the container I wanted to plant them in fell apart and I have not been able to replace it with a similar one yet. I am still on the lookout for a good black plastic square container. Anyway, here is what the containers look like now.

Front Porch Containers

Front Porch Containers
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved


...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to 1-2-3 Go Garden! at kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

No comments: